hair loss post surgery????

Joyce H.
on 3/21/05 3:14 am - Dracut, MA
Hi all...hope all is going well for each and everyone of you. I am about 6 months post surgery and have had a terrible hair loss. I am taking my multivits and was wondering what others have been experiencing and what solutions there may be out there. I appreciate your help and suggestions. Thanks!!!!
Lisa D.
on 3/21/05 4:42 am - Stoneham, MA
Hi Joyce~! Been there my friend. It is scary. I posted and read alot about hair loss and asked the same questions and I have found in my experience that there is nothing you can do. Some people found comfort in using products that claim to help growth but I did not find them as sucessful except to ease my mind. I did buy a root volumizer that you spray on before you blow dry and I found it hid the patch in the front above my bangs a bit and bought me some piece of mind. My hair loss started at 5 months and slowed down to normal around ten months. It will run its course. Bear with it and chin up. It gets better. Lisa open 2/11/04 TT/Hernia 11/22/04 456/252
lmt516
on 3/22/05 8:55 pm - Brant Rock, MA
I was very very concerned as I have fine hair to start. Any hair loss for me would be really noticable and awful. I mentioned this to my nutritionist and she recommended taking Zinc. Zinc it seems keeps hair healthy and promotes growth. So I have added a zinc to my regimen of vitamins and pills. So far so good, I am 4 months out and no more hair loss than "normal".
Dave_K
on 3/24/05 11:54 pm - 5 miles West of Boston, MA
Hi Joyce About 5 months after my surgery I was totally stressed out by clumps of hair on the shower floor and on my brush I did some research and read a few doctors' opinions of what causes the hair loss and what we can do about it. The hair loss is a natural result of the changes our bodies go through post-op. Our hairs normally have a life cycle, like plants, and go through hibernation periodically. Weight loss surgery sends a bunch of hairs into hibernation early. The hibernation eventually ends and the hair should regrow naturally. That was my experience. The hair loss is alarming for a few months but should stop and reverse itself. Right now my hair is as thick as it ever was (despite thinning back in November)! I used NO special hair products although desperation tempted me to try ANYTHING! Be patient, it should come back naturally! Also, make sure you have enough protein in your diet (I supplement with whey protein powder from BJs Wholesale Club.. great stuff!) and take whatever vitamins your nutritionist suggests.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views