New with a few Questions

Karolina P.
on 3/15/05 12:12 am - Plainville, MA
Hi everyone.I am interested in Lap Band. I have Mass health and neiborhood health plan. Has anyone been covered by these for surgery? Does Tuffs New England Medical Center have a weightloss center to contact? Not really sure who to ask for. My bmi is 38.5, I'm not sure if I will qualify for surgery. Anyone else get surgery around that BMI. I'm 224 pounds and 5'4. Also how long does it take from start to surgery date for Lap Band. Is it longer for bypass then Lap Band? Thanks for any info Also I am very mild hypo thyroid and have PCOS does this hurt or help me for getting surgery? Thank you
(deactivated member)
on 3/15/05 7:31 am - haverhill, MA
I know that Tufts New England med ctr has a weight loss . Many people have gone there for their surgery. I have no idea who to contact though. Try the Obesity help site surgeon locator. YOu may also get ideas about other surgeons and hospitals while you are there. Good luck!
(deactivated member)
on 3/15/05 6:07 pm - MA
For Tufts-New England Medical Center, go to www.obesityconsult.org - it explains what to do if you want to become a patient. ~Jen
Linda D.
on 3/16/05 8:43 am - Walpole, MA
Karolina, New England Medical Center has a fabulous weight loss center called the Obesity Consult Center ****). You can apply at their web site: www.obesityhelp.com I am pre-op there and have surgery scheduled for April 18. Their program is very thorough, stressing post-op care as much as pre-op. If your BMI is under 40 and you have co-morbidites such as diabetes, high blood pressure, etc., you can still be a candidate for surgery. Hope this helps. Linda
Linda D.
on 3/16/05 8:46 am - Walpole, MA
Sorry - my post should have said the web site is www.obesityconsult.com
Karolina P.
on 3/17/05 2:50 am - Plainville, MA
Thank you all for you help. I called the other day and already got an application. Just filled it out and its in the mail box. I have PCOS and high lipid levels , so I think I will still quailfy for the surgery. Does any know if Tufts has a program for Optifast or anything like that? Congratulations on your April 18 surgery appointment. Finally you will beable to get this problem solved and move on to better things, then worring about your weight everyday. Atleast that is how I feel about it. It is huge burden I carry everyday, and all the failers I have had take a toll on my self esteem. What are the doctors views about binge eating. Does that make you not qualify for surgery? Like eating to much and perfering sweet and fast food. Would they think I wouldn't be able to adhear to the program? Sorry so many questions. Oh yeah, How long did it take you to get appointment for surgery? How long ago was you initial appointment? Thanks
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views