5 days post op and having trouble drinking everything

karenm
on 3/9/05 5:53 am - west yarmouth, MA
I am 5 days post op from laproscopic bypass and I am supposed to be drinking 5 8ounce protein drinks and in between each 8ounces of water. I am only able to drink half of that because I am just not hungry and finishing 8 ounces of anything is like asking me to drink a gallon. I stepped on the scale today and have lost 11 pounds already which I'm not sure it right on target or too much but I just wanted to know how you are able to stay on track with 8 ounces hourly when you just aren't hungry?
Luann S.
on 3/9/05 7:13 am - Randolph, MA
Call your dietician. The most important thing so soon out is to keep up your fluid intake so that you don't get dehydrated and have to go back in the hospital! I am not familiar with your particular diet regime but that seems like a lot of fluid to be taking in just 5 days out. I would suggest clarifying this with your dietician and just try to get a bit of fluid in every hour and not worry about the totals as long as you've had something each hour. Ask about sugar free popsicles, frozen fruit2O, sugar free jello as other means of getting your fluids in. I could not stand water at first but these things and caffeine free tea kept me from dehydration. Good luck! Luann
(deactivated member)
on 3/9/05 8:06 am - haverhill, MA
As time goes by, you will be able to handle more of the protein drink....just keep trying. As Luann said....the most important job you have right now is staying hydrated. Just keep sipping your water. Good luck.
BrendaHeath
on 3/11/05 9:00 am - Winchendon, MA
Karen, I was only able to have about a 1/2 cup of Carnation every few hours. I drank a little in between. The first couple weeks you will notice you can't get as much as they want you to in. Don't make yourself sick over it. Do what you can, and as the weeks go on you will notice you will be able to fit more in. Right now, your stomach is still very swollen inside from the surgery. Take Care! Brenda 6 months post op (down 122 lbs)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views