Can you drink Alcohol

Kevin M.
on 3/5/05 5:43 am - East Longmeadow, MA
I've been considering asking my doctor about surgery. I'm 21 (barely) but have tried many diets (seriously) in the last 5 years. I have a BMI of 37 so I think I have a good chance of insurence covering my bill. If that's the case then why wouldn't I have it. But I was wondering about alcohol. I like beer, and I am 21. If I have the surgery, will I ever be able to consume alcohol again in any fashion?
(deactivated member)
on 3/5/05 8:12 am - haverhill, MA
I haven't tried it because all of the drinks that I liked were the sweet ones (Peach Schnops..Kaluah etc). I was never much of a drinker as a pre op. I have heard from others that they can drink a little , but that it doe**** them more quickly than the average person.
Julie H.
on 3/5/05 9:50 pm - Georgetown, MA
Hi Kevin, You can have alcohol, but it may be months after the surgery. I can tell you from personal experiance I am now 19 months out and after four sips of wine or a mixed drink, I get the warm and fuzzy feeling and I start to slur my words. Within half an hour I am ready for bed though! Just never ever drive if you do. It is true that our bodies will now absorb the alcohol much faster. With your age, the team of doctors will address all the social issues a young man would have with the lifestyle changes the surgery will bring on. Keep up the positive thoughts and remember you are considering doing this surgery for your health and well being. Julie Hopkins Georgetown, MA
Jenna B.
on 3/7/05 1:41 am - Tyngsboro, MA
Hi Kevin They recommend that you don't just because alcohol is high in sugar and post-op it's a good idea to eat & drink a low suger lifestyle. That being said I personally have tried butterscotch schnaps & Bailey's but it makes me sick because it's too sweet, I can however tolerate wine. When I've been out with friends I'll have one glass of wine and it puts me under the table. The problem with Beer is it's carbonated & carbonation can stretch out the new pouch so I'm sure if you wanted to have a drink beer would be a big no-no.
DJJCHARRIS
on 3/7/05 2:39 am - Winchendon, MA
Carbination is a no-no after WLS. So I would say that would be your number 1 down fall. Also I have 1/2 a drink and I am lite like a christmas tree. But just think of your total health not just if you can keep partying. This is a permanant life change. Dawn -119
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views