scared and just beginning.....

issy2you
on 3/2/05 12:13 am - winthrop, MA
Hi all, I'm just looking for a little reassurance with this one. I've just started this wonderful process and I'm very excited.....I saw the Surgeon on Feb 28th for the first time and I've already made my nutrition apt and my psych eval.....Anyway, my problem is I'm scared of the "what ifs."... I wasn't at first...I was staying positive ... but then my Great Aunt had WLS last week and she had complications and passed away. I personally don't think she was a good candidate...she had lots going on health wise and they knew she had been on medication which caused her organ damage....she was also in remission 1 year from cancer. I just don't know if maybe I need to slow down this process because I'm having these thoughts. My aunt had planned her funeral before her surg. cause she didn't think she was going to make it......I think that's what's scaring me......is having doubts and these thoughts normal or do I need to back off for a while? ~Issy
Vivid
on 3/2/05 1:38 am - Western, MA
Issy, It is normal to be scared especially considering your recent loss. Have you considered other options (I am assuming you are pursuing RNY)? The lap band is effective and far less drastic. Check out the lap band board and find out more.
Nana Holly
on 3/2/05 3:39 am - Quincy, MA
Issy, I am so sorry for the loss of your Great Aunt. I know that must have been very difficult for you especially considering the cir****tances of her WLS. I would say that you need to go with your "gut" feeling, however, I also think you need some time to process what has happened and the cir****tances surrounding it, and how important it is to you to get on with your "new WLS life". One thing to consider is that you are a much younger woman, therefore, you do not have as many of the medical conditions and medication issues your aunt had (not to mention the cancer). Also, It will take some time for you to complete all your testing. Your surgeon then needs to gather all the results and then submit the surgery request to your insurance company. This should give you ample time to make a decision and if, in the end, you opt not to at this time, you can opt out. I wish you luck and hope you make the decision that works for you. I am scheduled for my WLS on April 5th. I, like your aunt, am a one year cancer survivor. More than ever I want to lose this weight because obesity is a factor in creating cancer cells. I am scared, but I think I will be a much healthier (not to mention happier) woman once I lose this weight. I will also have the tool (small stomach pouch) created by WLS to help me keep it off this time. My prayers are with you. Holly
(deactivated member)
on 3/2/05 8:22 am - haverhill, MA
I think your doubts and fears are totally normal....especially considering the loss of your great aunt. I think you have to go with what you feel is right for you. Was your great aunt with the same surgeon that you are going through?
issy2you
on 3/2/05 8:40 am - winthrop, MA
No, me and my aunt were seeing 2 different doctors. I also know 3 other people who HAVE used my DR and they are all doing great. I feel very confident I have found the best doctor possible...he has 20 years experience and low complication rates....I guess this just hit a little too close to home. I feel very strongly about wanting to get this done I just want to be sure my feelings are normal...I guess. =) Thank you for responding!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views