why a liquid diet before surgery?

karenm
on 2/21/05 11:53 am - west yarmouth, MA
I am scheduled for surgery with Dr Lautz on March 4th and am supposed to do a liquid diet the 2 weeks before surgery. He said it had something to do with the liver. Does anyone know why the liquid diet before and will it be terrible to have some solids?
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 2/21/05 11:42 pm - 128 Belt, MA
Hi Karen- I had Dr.Lautz,too. The reason is that a low calorie, liquid diet will reduce the size of the liver. They are working right below the liver and use an instrument to lift it up. If the liver is smaller-they have more room to work. I also think the reason is to "get you" off of food. After about 10 days of the liquid diet--I was mentally beat about food. It makes it easier for the post op--since you are used to "no food". Emotionaly I looked at it like this--I have 42 years of eating what I wanted--a liquid diet for 4 weeks was a small exchange for a new life! I hope all goes well--I'm sure it will! Joan F.
debbie3855
on 2/22/05 3:46 pm - Havehill, MA
I saw this before and called Eileen. She said that the only time he would put you on a liquid diet 2 weeks before is when you are having a lap band...... I think I am going to go on a liquid diet on my own.......anyone have any thoughts on this?
lmanning2004
on 2/22/05 7:12 pm - Boston, MA
Debbie, A liquid diet in itself is very hard, it really takes some mental determination. Since you rbody is used ot eating strickly food, it will go through a food tixification process. You might get the sweats, and even get agressive towards others, but if you stick by it, it can work. Normally a liquid diet is a 500-850 daily caloric intake. I know someone who lost 100 pounds on liquid, but she was beyond determined. So good luck and let me know how the liquid diet worked out for you. Leslie
diane F.
on 3/1/05 12:08 pm - salem, MA
I am 2 weeks post op with Dr Lautz. I did the liquid diet for 1 week before and it is to shrink the liver. I feel it also made for a lot less bathroom visits post surgery. no straining to make bowel movements was one less thing to worry about. best wishes
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views