What kind of WLS should I have?

lmanning2004
on 2/18/05 1:00 pm - Boston, MA
I need help choosing a method of surgrey? I don't know what kind would be the mpst effective with the least complications? I am scared to death to have this surgery. I have read how some people need to have emergency surgeries, after there bypass. Why do you think that happend? Can someone tell me about their experience with WLS? Plese help
(deactivated member)
on 2/18/05 9:58 pm - haverhill, MA
Dear Leslie, There are a wide variety of reasons for surgical complications. The best thing that you can do is to research this surgery very well and choose a surgeon and hospital that have a good, long history of doing weight loss surgery. My suggestion is that you schedule a consult with a surgeon and talk about your options .
Vivid
on 2/19/05 8:22 am - Western, MA
Leslie, There are many reasons to be concerned about WLS especially the kind that surgically alters your intestines. The lap band does not do this. It is a band that is placed around your stomach much like a belt and is tightened slowly over time to help you control your portions. There is no cutting or malabsorption so much less likely to develop deadly complications and no vitamin deficiencies. You do not have to take supplements for life nor do you have only a "window of opportunity" of 18-24 months, the band works for life. I was banded 6 weeks ago and have lost 22 lbs, 9 inches, 1 shoe, pant and shirt size already and I have not had a fill yet! With the band you lose slower and healthier - giving your body (and your skin) time to adjust without endangering your heart or other lean muscle mass. But over 2-3 years, banders match RNY in their weight loss. The best part, the band will work for life and it is completely reversible - the bypass is not. Come on over the lap band forum and find out more! Good luck.
lmanning2004
on 2/19/05 9:24 am - Boston, MA
Thank you so much for your response. I actually think the band is what the doctors are aiming for in my case. My thing with the band is how effective is it, where on the internet can i go and find out information on it. So how has it been for you since you had the band? Any pain, nausea, vomitting? Do you know anyone with the bypass? Have you guys compared each other? I know my questions are probably silly, but a doctor can never tell me how it actually is, if they never had the surgery themselves.
lily K.
on 2/20/05 1:01 am - brockton, MA
dear leslie i had my lap RNY at NEMC/Tufts in july of last year. when i went in i was thinking of the lap band, but when i spoke to my surgeon Dr Kim she suggested that the RNY might be better for me and the way i ate. she said she would do whatever procedure i wanted, but suggested i do more research on the RNY. i did and decided to do it. I WAS TERRIFIED the day of the procedure ( thank god i was the first of the day!!) as i had never been overnight in a hospital and had never even had stitches as a kid! but the staff there is great, i had no complications and was out in 2 days. i have lost over 80 lbs and now have about 20-25 to be at goal. i was wearing a tight 24 pants the day i went in and now wear a 14. you really need to research your surgeon, your hospital and your choice of procedure and make sure your surgeon has lots of experience in the procedure you choose. this is not an easy road by any means, your relationship with food changes forever and especially at the beginning it is difficult to go to social functions as so many of them revolve around vast quantities of food. but it does get easier as you relearn how to eat for your new smaller stomach, most people are not hungry after RNY and have to force themselves to eat, although now at at 7 months out i do feel hunger everyone's journey is different, some have no or minor complications, and some have major complications, there is no way to tell how this will go for every individual i have been pleased with my results and all my medical problems(diabetes, high blood pressure and triglycerides) have cleared up so i wish you the best of luck on your journey, this is a big, life altering decision and i know i took several months before i was ready to proceed. NEMC requires you to go to many meetings with nutritionists, behavioral therapists and the surgeon and although it was time consuming it was very helpful. i still try to go to the post op groups that are held monthly email me if you have questions and good luck!! lilykate
jenlaur1
on 2/20/05 9:15 pm - Westborough, MA
VSG on 08/19/13
Leslie, I can't make a decision for you or anyone else but I can tell you why I've made my decision. I am going through NEMC, my first consult is tomorrow with Dr. Greenberg, the psychologist. I am getting the lap band because I think it's the safer way to go. I am scared to death of the RNY and everything in my being tells me that is NOT the way to go for ME. I tried going through the process two years ago through UMass Memorial in Worcester. I went to one of the info meetings and became completely intimidated by all the people there who looked like they needed it more than me, so I put it on the back burner, hoping that I could lose weight by myself, like through WW. I never did lose weight really, I tried WW though, I lost 10 lbs and just couldn't keep it off. Anyway, I was told on the lap band message board about NEMC and they have a website where there is an application form. I filled it out and I had my husband fax over the form (I'd just had my pcp's approval the week before) and the next day I called to see if they'd rec'd the form and that is when this real nice lady, Michelle, said that I was approved (I'd also had my husband find out if our ins. would cover the lap band, and they do) for the surgery and she set up an appt. with me for the psych eval. When you get the letter reminding you of the eval, you get the dates for the info. meetings which are held on the last Monday of every month. They do ask for $500 educational fee (still not sure what that covers) and if your ins doesn't cover it, the psychologist is $50 for every visit(we have Harvard Pilgrim, and they do cover it). I was so thrilled about the quickness of it all. UMass is quite a longer process. Anyway, I hope this helped some. Good luck in your journey. Keep us updated on your progress. Cathy
emme819
on 2/21/05 5:46 am - Worcester, MA
Hi Leslie - I really think it is a highly individual decision. I started going through the NEMC program, and ended up going through UMAss, the opposite of the person who posted before me. In any event, both programs were quite thorough about the pluses and minuses of both RNY and the band. After meeting with the bariatrician at UMass, and the behavior and nutrition folks, I decided (and they concurred) that while my size might make me a good candidate for the band, my eating habits make me the bypass a better choice. As an emotional eater, if I was determined to get down a pound of M&Ms, I would do it if I had the band even if it took me all day. I am praying I get dumping syndrome - it would be the best thing to happen to me. The band is generally associated with fewer complications, but it is not complication free. It still involves major surgery, and the band can slip, or you can be overfilled and that can cause problems. But generally, the complications are less severe. Bypass will cause faster weight loss, but has long term nutritional issues, and is a more major surgery. It really is an individual thing. My surgery date is 3/16, and I'm nervous as hell about it. But I know this is the right surgery for me, as much as I like the idea that with the band I could still eat sugar if I wanted. But that's how I got here in the first place, and giving it up won't be fun. But this is the right decision for me. I would advise you to go to the orientation meetings at whatever program you choose, and ask a lot of questions. Some fellow patients I met at UMass were unsure of which surgery to have right up until they met individually with the surgeon. After a full discussion of the pros and cons of each, the surgeon gave his opinion and then the two made the decision together. It is a big decision. Take your time and get all the information you need before you decide, so you can be sure you choose the one that is right for you and will give you the best result for YOU. Take care and good luck. Mary Ellen
Karen A.
on 2/24/05 10:20 am - Shrewsbury, MA
Hi... I had a LAP BAND put in on April 5th, 2004 two days before my 45th birthday. My whole world has changed.( Dr. Kelly at UMASS did the surgery at Memorial Hospital.) Weight loss is slow now...sometimes frustrating...but still losing. I have lost 60 lbs and my life has changed so drastically. I am (WAS) the ultimate couch potato but now I actually have a part time job that requires me to walk at least 2 miles a day. SO I HAVE to exercise. Everything has changed...for the better. For months I considered myself in the "honeymoon" phase after surgery. Now, the honeymoon is over and reality has set in. It's all pretty much up to me. I have had 4 fills and only get a slight restriction...I have to make the right choices. If I wanted to , I could snack all day. I can't eat a big meal...but I COULD eat cookies all day if I wanted to! This can be tough. I still go to post op support groups with Dr. Kaplan...they really help. The groups are wonderful and we give each other a lot of support. She will bring in nutitionists and try to answer all our questions. We are all afraid to regain weight and will do what it takes not to fall back into old routines and bad habits. I was afraid to have the gastric bypass...it was TOO severe for me. I was 242lbs at 5'3"...basically a circle. My measurements were 50-50-50....what a sight! I haven't measured myself but I know I have gone down several sizes and feel 100% better. My diabetes is gone...my asthma is so much better...my Prednisone is almost gone...my arthritis is better...my reflux is gone...and I have eliminated a lot of my other meds.Life is better. Attitude is everything...you have to want to change your way of living. Surgery is only a tool...you are always in control of your actions.I heard a great saying in my 1st support group..."Nothing tastes as good as thin FEELS!"..........that is so true.Good luck........I will say a prayer for you...... Karen
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views