Stupid Monica trick

Monica B.
on 2/3/05 10:28 pm - Emery, SD
Yes I must admit I was stupid. My hubbie brought home KFC for dinner last night. He and my daughter both said remove the skin and crusty coating. I took the smallest piece of chicken breast, 2 tablespoons of cole slaw, drained. I cut the chicken into small bites, but I had to taste the skin.......BIG mistake. My pouch refused to allow it in. That small tasty piece just sat there, hurting me and making me sick. Why did I do that????? Goodness I KNOW what extra crispy KFC tastes like. why did I need or want that taste? Well another lesson learned. After I returned from the bathroom, the chicken removed, gone, with my face florid red and my eyes florid red, I discovered that all the crispy chicken skin and coating on my piece was gone. My family smarter than I had cleaned my chicken. I sat down and continued my dinner. I was safe and it tasted fine without the skin. Monica must remember to not do any more stupid Monica tricks. Behavior modification.....I can stay away from so many "bad" foods my reminding myself that "Hey I know what that tastes like and I don't need it", but this time I let the smell and visual senses take over. Beware those senses....empower me, empower us...we have come so far in our journey. Thanks for listening to me, lessons learned and shared. Monica
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 2/3/05 10:47 pm - 128 Belt, MA
Monica--don't call yourself stupid--call yourself an educated woman! Now you know there are things that just don't work--either RNY or banding. Chicken is just not my best meat anymore. Took me a few tries and few oops, too. My dietician said to try things again that didn't agree the first time--but it is hard to go down that path. Stay well, and put this episode behind you and go forward! Joan F.
CoolWaterMom
on 2/3/05 10:50 pm - Monument Beach, MA
Hi Monica I am only 2 weeks out today I have not had time to do my stupid Loretta trick's just yet but give me time I am sure I will........... One thing that was said recently on Ophra was a quote from her and I keep reminding myself of it everyday. " Nothing Taste As Good As Thin Feels". I hope it helps Hugs Loretta
Karen A.
on 2/24/05 10:32 am - Shrewsbury, MA
Hi Loretta... I saw your reply to Monica on the message board and had to laugh! I had just given the same words of wisdom to another message writter! "Nothing tastes as good as thin FEELS!" OH how true. I heard that line in my 1st post op support group and have never forgotten it. The other one I like is "You are overweight because of the choices you make!" THAT one is on my microwave so I can see it everyday! I had a LAP BAND in April '04 and have lost 60 lbs...it's slow so sometimes I get frustrated...but my life has changed and life is good ...I wish you good health and a positive life change... Karen
keepersmom1991
on 2/4/05 4:04 am - Pembroke, MA
Hey Monica, Let me share with you all that even at almost 2 years out, I still think I can eat something I know better than to. Every now and then I test the waters and I still "pay" for it. I do like it though as it helps keep me honest. Those senses can be strong and overpowering at times, but as they say they operated on our stomachs(sp) not our heads. Keep up the good work. Janet OPEN RYN 3/4/03 318/144 -174 below goal and fighting for PS
Luann S.
on 2/4/05 6:30 am - Randolph, MA
Monica, I went down that road too and honestly feel that the subsequent experience has been so imprinted in my brain that I'll never be likely to try KFC again! Which isn't a bad thing since it's probably not a good diet choice for anyone! In fact, chicken in any form is pretty noxious to me. You have a great attitude and I'm sure you are wiser for the experience! Luann LapRNY 9/14/04 -65
(deactivated member)
on 2/4/05 8:28 am - South of Boston, MA
::shiver:: The mere smell of KFC makes me cringe. Don't get me wrong, I used to have a love affair with the sweet sweet coleslaw... Not anymore... Next time you're having that craving, picture the frozen battered chicken piece****ting the hot bubbling OIL... if that doesn't kill the urge, then remember that the oil seeps through that coating and infiltrates the meat and makes it a mere shadow of the healthy protein it once was.... This worked for my husband.... he had mad KFC urges... not a chance anymore! b e t h 'For I was never so small as this before...,' thought Alice. 313/298/156/130 http://meltingmama.blogspot.com/
(deactivated member)
on 2/4/05 10:36 pm - haverhill, MA
Sorry to hear that, Monica! I have a little list of "Kim" tricks too! Live and learn. Sounds like you did that.......I like what you said.....about knowing what it tastes like and not needing it. Now....I do not want to see the word "stupid" near your name ever again. Stupid people do not learn from their mistakes. It appears you learned. Keep up the good work, Monica
lmt516
on 2/5/05 3:12 am - Brant Rock, MA
Not so stupid. I did the same thing with pizza. the family had brought it home and not even thinking I just chomped and chewed. Very very bright thing to do. Thank god there was noone in the bathroom. It just doesn't taste the same on the way back up. That taught me a real lesson - think before you eat, which is what got me to where I was in the first place. Old habits are very very hard to conquer but it will come.
Jenna B.
on 2/8/05 8:58 am - Tyngsboro, MA
Hi Monica When it comes to Post-ops we're divided into two categories: (1) Those that have tried something they shouldn't have and learned their lesson and (2) Those that will try something they shouldn't and will learn their lesson. Been there, done that - with me it was ranch dip and cucumbers, not that the cucumbers were bad but the ranch dip wasn't fat free. Not fun! Hugs to you, Jenna
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views