Western MA PCP recommendations (BCBS)

Dooley M.
on 2/1/05 1:14 am - springfield, MA
I've been w/out a main doctor for a few years. I just started a new job, and have real health insurance now. It's BCBS of CA EPO (I believe it's like the PPO, so you don't need a primary care doctor) but after this long I'm thinking that it's a good place to start. Anyone have any recommendations as to a good doctor? I live in springfield, work in westboro so anywhere inbetween would be ok. Thanks! Also, I'm researching WLS, decided to go to Dr Valin's info session in new haven. Anyone think I'm crazy for going that far? I know theres some docs in springfield, but didn't see much info about them...everyone says Valin is great.... I could do Worcester but I used to work at UMass and you won't EVER catch my going there after what I've seen.... take care!
Monica B.
on 2/1/05 1:36 am - Emery, SD
Well I am lucky because my PCP is at the VA hospital in Leeds, MA. However I went to Pioneer Valley Surgical Associates for a surgeon. I have Federal BCBS PPO so I just made an appointment to see Dr.V.Faillo. He is super wonderful. His staff is great and very knowledgable about what needs to happen before the surgery takes place. Dr.Faillo sent me to the Mercy Hospital Comprehensive Weight Management Center. Dr.Keroack and his entire staff are true professionals who care about people with eating problems. They are dedicated to helping people make the correct choice in how to lose weight. I had my surgery on 12/06/04 at Mercy. Great room, super care, they have a wing of rooms dedicated to Bariatric patients. The Weight Management group came over every day to check on me. Dr.Faillo did a remarkable job. I have had 9 abdominal operations and have many scars. He was able to perform the surgery laproscopicly.(misspelled). I could not believe how little post op pain I had. I asked why I did not hurt. He told me he uses tiny instruments that do not invade the skin and muscles so drasticly. I kissed his hands and hugged him for his expertise. I can only talk from experience and this entire process for me from start to now has been postive. I have lost 40 pounds. I feel so much healthier and stronger. I am 57 and for 40 years have struggled with my weight and have always failed. Now I am on my way to a better life, one I can actually engage in and not jus****ch life pass on by. Monica
Vivid
on 2/1/05 3:37 am - Western, MA
Hi Dooley, An EPO is actually an "exclusive provider organization" and requires you to see physicians that are in the network for maximum benefits. You should double-check with them as to who might be covered. Pioneer Valley Surgical Associates in Springfield are the only ones currently doing lap band. Dr. Haag did a year's internship exclusively doing lap bands and brought his experience to PVSA and trained Dr. Fiallo. Dr. Haag still does most of the bands with Dr. Fiallo doing mostly RNY's. Can you guess that Dr. Haag did my surgery and I am very happy with him? Now as to a PCP - there are plenty of good ones around. I have lived in this area most of my life and worked in the medical field for 18 years. The problem is getting in to see them - they are so booked. I would suggest you start with your insurance company and get a list of providers first, get a copy of your medical records from everyone you've ever seen and call immediately to get an appointment. Plan on waiting about 2 months to get a PCP appointment. Best of luck.
YVETTE A.
on 2/1/05 4:11 am - SPRINGFIELD, MA
I will recomend you Dr. Keroak Clinic . For me it's the best . You can call and get an orientation.
~*Ellen H.
on 2/3/05 8:19 am - Western, MA
Dr Keroack's clinic has a support group meeting every other tuesday, the next one is on 2/8 starting at 6 pm. If you want information, I think this is as good a place to start as any and a lot closer than new haven! The meeting is in the Weldon Rahab building at mercy.
Dooley M.
on 2/7/05 2:30 am - springfield, MA
Do you have any more info on this meeting, it's not on the calendar on mercy's website? Does the Dr have a website? thanks... not sure I'm comfortable going alone regardless, but I'd like to have the info.
~*Ellen H.
on 2/7/05 12:27 pm - Western, MA
I dont think he has a web sight, but here is the office phone number 413-748-6910. They are really nice there and can give you more specifics about the meeting if you want to go. Its a support group for patients pre-op, post-op, and those considering it. I too am trying to motivate myself to go for the first time. Since I changed my status to pre-op, they make everyone go atleast once before surgery and I am nervious too. (Not a fan of new cituations) Well, goodluck and I hope you get all the information you want!
marypoco
on 2/5/05 5:35 am - amherst, MA
HI Dooley, I had my surgery right at Bay State Hospital right in Springfield. My surgeon was Dr Munshi. He has since left BayState. but, they do have Surgeons there that are very qualified to do the surgery. One is Dr. Coe. you should check them out there also. Why go to New Haven when their are great surgeons right here??? Good Luck. Mary 268/260/168/?????
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views