Umass Memorial ??

DC
on 1/31/05 11:23 am - Orange, MA
Anyone here who has been through the Umass weight center program? I am going to my first meeting on 2/9/05 and would like to know what to expect from the program. I'm worried it will take to long!
chellz
on 2/1/05 8:03 am - worcester, ma
Hi David, I just got home yesterday from having surgery at Umass...I have to say that there program is a little bit longer than some that I have heard of but also from what I have seen they offer the best all around care also. Between before care and after programs they have it all covered. The program is quite a bit shorter now than when I first went to look into it but if it wasn't I would have gone through and has surgery when I really wasn't ready to commit to this lifestyle change. So it is my opinion that if it takes just a little bit longer there is a very good reason. The surgeons are awesome. Michelle
emme819
on 2/1/05 9:41 am - Worcester, MA
Hi David - I have my consultation with Dr. Kelly on Feb. 3. I went to my first orientation meeting last July. After orientation, you meet with Dr. Gitkind, who is a bariatric medical doctor who will screen you for your appropriateness for this program. Once you are screened by him, you will have an appt with nutrition and two with behavioral health. After that, you have 4 weeks of once a week group meetings where you discuss changing behaviors to help you through the process. Then you see behavior once or twice again, see nutrition again, and then you have a nutrition class where they give you the post-surgery diet plan. AFter all of this is completed and nutrition and behavorial medicine sign off, you get a call from the surgeon's office to schedule your consult. After your consult, the paperwork is submitted to the insurance company for approval, and once approved, you get a surgery date. Is this a long, time consuming and sometimes frustrating process? Absolutely. But, having said that, I really think this type of through, comprehensive program is absolutely necessary to understand all you need to know about the surgery, the changes you will face afterwards, and to give you the support you need through the process. After the surgery, you have additional appts with nutrition and behavior, and there is a monthly support group you can attend, and other groups you can join if you wish. It took me 6 months to get through this, and I have to say as much as I wish I was "on the other side" already, this program seems to be top notch! There is a yahoo support group for patients of UMass's WLS program you might find helpful. That addres is: http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/friends_of_WBSSG/ Even though this program may take longer than some, it is really thorough and I wouldn't skimp on things just to get to the surgery sooner. Take care and good luck. Mary Ellen Mary Ellen
surfingirlb
on 2/1/05 9:46 pm - St Robert, MO
Hi David, I had my surgery on 1/6 with Dr. Richard Perugini. I have to say that though the program took a long time it is well worth it. I have never felt so comfortable with people talking about my "fat" issues. Dr. Perugini is a partner with Dr. Kelly the head of the weight center. They also have another partner who just joined them but has a lot of experiance,I can't remmember her name but she was my assist surgeon. Anyway it took me a little over a year to get from point a to surgery but it was my fault it took that long. I could have had my surgery in October but I was in school and wanted to finish my semester. Plan on 9months to a year and hope for sooner. You say you are worried it will take to long, compaired to what? I would wait a lot longer than just a year to get healthy and to have one of the best, safest programs. That's just my opinion though. Good luck and I hope it goes well for you. B 309/277/160-130 I'm not picky
DC
on 2/1/05 11:33 pm - Orange, MA
I guess when I say it will take too long I mean that I don't want to wait a year to start! I understand the need for pre op education and counseling but I'm the kind of person who comes to a decision slowly then wants it done NOW!! That said They do appear to have a good program and I'm sure the results will be worth it. The program at NW looks good also but there next orientation meeting is on 2/24. So I am going to the orientation meeting on 2/9 at Umass. I'm sure once the process gets going I will be occupied with doing something besides waiting and that it wont be so bad. All the whining aside I have been the largest person I know for 33 years what's one more year?? Thanks for the info. DC
SkinnyMe71805
on 2/5/05 2:57 am - Fitchburg, MA
Hi david, I went to my first orientation meeting in July and I am just now nearing the end of the process. I have completed my behavioral classes and my nutrition appt. Now all i have left is a followup with behav. and a one hour nutrition class before i meet the surgeon. For myself it has taken longer than most who will be going through the process at umass because my mother and i are both getting this done so our appt's have always been together, which can set ya back a bit. Umass has made some changes in the way the program works which started taking place in September of 04. More doctors more nutritionists, more behav med staff. so the process that use to take 8 months to a year now averages to about 5 to 7 months start to end. I was happy i started when i did cause just like you, I wanted it when i wanted it. It has gone by unexpectadly fast actually. I do have to stress that you MUST lose atleast 5 lbs prior to surgical consult. I am struggling with that, but i have a month until my last appt before the surgical consult to lose it. I wish you the best and good luck!! Niesha Johnson preop 283/ goal 165 Type II diabetes GERD PCOS Asthma Herniated discs Gout
DC
on 2/6/05 12:09 am - Orange, MA
Niesha, Thanks for the info!! That sound very encouraging to me, 5 to 7 months would be great. I was bracing myself for it being more than a year . I'll make every effort to move it along and hopefully all will go well. Thanks for the reply. DC
Krista B.
on 2/7/05 1:47 am - Leominster, MA
David, I attended my orientation meeting in October. I had my consult with Dr. Gitkind (med consult) in Nov had behavior consult in Dec, I started the actual classes in Jan, I am on my second set of classes this month (taking one set of classes a month), my next set and second nutrition appt are in March along with the Nutrition group. After that, I will be sent for surgical consult. I unfortuneately have to push my surgery to June as I will be ready before then, but can't have until June due to my position at work (accountant and auditors will be here in May). I do know some in some of my classes now that doubled up on their classes each month. It depends on your schedule. I'm pretty tightly booked so I opted to have one a month, plus that way I'm not all done with the classes then just sitting waiting for June to roll around. You'll be told this in the orientation meeting, but sometimes it's not so clear. This is the progression of the program Medical Consult Pshyc Consult Then not necessarily in this order, but the once a week group classes that you will have to take Pre-Surgery Skills (4 wks Behavioral) Lifestyle Exercise (4 wks) Strength Training (3 wks) Nutrition (1 wk) You'll meet with the Nutritionist after your second visit with the psychologist, then again after the pre-surgery skills class, then she'll book you into the next open Nutrition class. You'll also meet with the psychologist again after the pre-surgery skills class after you've met with both after the class and attended the nutrition class you'll be scheduled for the surgical consult (I'm not this far, but this is what my nutritionist told me because I was curious to see where I was in the program) I also have a sheet that I can type up and email you. The physiologist gave it to us to keep track of our appointments and so we knew how much we had left. Good luck, and it's the best decision you can make. I know it was for me. Krista Burson
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views