Tufts NEW ENGLAND MEDICAL CENTER

Butterflyeffect
on 1/31/05 5:21 am - Brighton, MA
Hi there. I am having surgery with Dr. Scott Shikora on March 7th 2005 and I am starting to feel really scared and worried about so many things. I was wondering if anyone who posts here has had surgery at this hopsital or with Dr. Shikora that I can talk to about how it will go. I dont know why but the closer it gets I am just starting to feel so scared about the surgery and complications. Thanks ahead of time!!
John S.
on 1/31/05 8:43 am - Carver, MA
I just had my surgery on 1/19 and am almost 2 weeks postop. I found the staff and Dr Shikora to be wonderful. The only glich to the entire operation is that there was limited numbers of beds so I did have to stay in recovery for 24 hrs. But the staff in recovery was absolutley wonderful. When I did get a room , it was private and the staff was very caring and attentive. I had some gas pains but no pain from the incisions. The bed in both recovery and in my room (same bed) was very helpful as it turned into a recliner so getting in and out was very easy...you just step out of it. Dr Shikora came to see me in recovery b ut then had a conference he was attending but his associate Dr Kim came to see me every day and was very attentive. Once home the biggest challage was getting enough fluids in. Also sleeping in a real bed was challanging. If you are usaed to sleeping on your side i suggest putting a pillow under you to give your stomach support or renting a recliner for the first week. The gas pains contin ued for the first 3 days but them subsided. I did become lactose intolerant and had trouble keeping in my liquids but as soon as I went to Lactaid milk I was fine. I hope this helps.
(deactivated member)
on 2/1/05 8:54 am - South of Boston, MA
Hi John, I just had to pop in for minute--- we had a house in Carver for a while, just moved a few towns over.... I also had my surgery at NEMC, as did my husband.... We have had great results and no problems with the staff at NEMC. Beth 'How puzzling all these changes are,' said Alice. 'I'm never sure what I am going to be from one minute to another. However, I've got back to my right size: the next thing is to get into that beautiful garden.' HW- 313 SW- 298 CW- 154 GW- 130 -159 lbs and counting! http://meltingmama.blogspot.com/
Jodi H.
on 2/1/05 1:49 am - Amesbury, MA
They are the best. You have nothing to worry about. I had my surgery there in AUgust. I also had an emergancy surgery done with Scott (non related to Bypass) he was great. The whole team is awesome. I would never just say that. They treated me with the best care in the world along with being great to my family. Good luck! Jodi -109
Lisa B.
on 2/2/05 2:59 am - West Yarmouth, MA
HI, I HAD SURGERY January 4th 05 at new england medical ,My surgeon was DR tarnoff , And things went great and it is normal to feel scared worried it's all part of the process i was lucky mine was right around the holidays plenty to keep my mind busy or i would have lost it lol.... But anyways yes the staff is great my surgery was at 7:30 am so i had arrived at 6:30 i was taken right in everyone was very nice and by 7:00 am i was in the surgical holding area and they were feeding me some ****tails as the anesthesiologist(dont think i spelled that right lol) put it . And i was way relaxed .wHEN I WOKE UP the first thing i said was what the #@!* did i do . i kept on forgetting to hit my button.once I remeber it was there i was much more comfortable . While in the hospital the staff was very nice .Get up and walk as soon as you can it helps . And it might help when you get home to sleep in a recliner i did for the first week . my expierence was excellent and my doctors came by everyday . GOOD LUCK TO YOU ...KEEP US POSTED LISA
lmt516
on 2/3/05 1:46 am - Brant Rock, MA
I had mine at NEMC on 11/23 with Dr Tarnoff. I had no problems and the staff was really wonderful. I had trouble with a med and it was switched out within minutes. They were kind and caring. Vrey very attentive and helpful. I was so scared I had my family leave so I couldn't change my mind. You will do fine, just take a deep breath and try to relax on the day.
moe37
on 3/24/05 9:04 am - franklin, MA
Hi my name is maureen and i had surgery with dr shikora 2 years ago you will feel alittle scared there is nothing to be worried about good like
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views