GERD post surgery

Monica B.
on 1/18/05 11:17 pm - Emery, SD
I just got off the phone with my Weight Loss Group doctor, Dr.Keroack. I have begun having GERD again even though I am post op since 12/06. I explained my symptoms and how I have a hoarse, scratchy throat. My ENT and gastroenterologist have told me how I have this powerful GERD that comes up and burns my vocal cords and esophogus. Both encouraged me to lose weight, cut out coffee, and do not eat after 8PM. The GERD and the hoarseness went away with treatment and the following of the protocols laid down. This has been a long time problem for me that had been successfully treated with medicine. However, most people no longer have GERD or indigestion after the WLS. The part of the stomach that produces the most acid is now cut off. Dr.Keroack explained that some individuals have acid producing cells in the remaining stomach, rare but it does happen. He feels that I am one of those people. He is calling in a medicine for me that will be easy to swallow and I am to monitor myself and all the office back if I see an improvement in a few days. I know that Rusty posted about having this problem. Are there others out there having a similiar problem. Good luck to us. I would not trade having had this surgery ever. I have lost weight, feel better all around and am enjoying finding me. Monica
Luann S.
on 1/20/05 2:22 am - Randolph, MA
Hi Monica, I seemed to have some problems with reflux after surgery and had to go back on my medication for a while. However, as I continue to lose weight it seems to have resolved. I think this is more a mechanical problem than anything, that it was just the food backing up and not necessarily the acid production. Anyway, hang in there! Hopefully, with time it will get better for you and you can be off the medication, too! Luann
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views