Only 1lb in a week - is this normal?

lmt516
on 1/5/05 3:29 am - Brant Rock, MA
OK another question, I was losing really weel, 40lbs in 6 weeks. Now I have not lost but 1lb this week, have I plateaud already. Is this normal to slow down that quick? I have not been able to exercise because of a really bad chest/head cold but have stuck to the diet faithfully. My nutrionist says my water consumption is good, not high but ok. Any suggestions to jump start me? I just transitioned from Stage 4 to 5 but am afraid to add anything back in really.
Luann S.
on 1/5/05 6:46 am - Randolph, MA
Lisa, Step away from the scale! I think our bodies naturally go through cycles of loss and plateau and weighing often can be frustrating. I only go by the scale at the doctor visits. Your body has gone through a lot in six weeks and needs to take a break to restabilize. Add a cold to that....... Just be patient and focus on how you are feeling and other ways of determining progress...how a pair of pants fit, how often you are having to buy new underwear, the hole you use on a watch band..... My goal is to focus on how much exercise I get, measurements, how my clothes fit and to some day say..."oh, I never weigh myself except for my YEARLY doctor visit!" Luann LapRNY 9/14/04 -60 lbs
linda M.
on 1/5/05 10:58 pm - S. Hadley, MA
Hi Lisa, I had my surgery at BayState Medical 1/05/04 I have lost 130lbs so far. At BayState, they tell me to eat ANYTHING I want, and to stop when I feel full. They also want us to drink 64oz of fluid a day and to eat 50-60 grams of Protien a day. That's IT!!! There is NO DIET to follow and NO Weight Goals to make. Let me tell you that BayState has taken away ALL the stress of weight loss. I have nothing to worry about. I just relax and let the surgery WORK for me! I am a member of Cruves and I try to stay away from the foods that helped me get FAT in the first place ie. soda(any kind) bread, rice, potatoes, pasta and FAST FOOD!!! I think you have "plateaud" due to your illness and lack of exercise. Your body is still recovering from your surgery. Try to increase your water. I hope this helps you. Try to relax. Try not to focus so much on the weight loss numbers. Believe me the weight Will come off.
DJJCHARRIS
on 1/6/05 1:27 am - Winchendon, MA
Yes you have hit your 1st plateau. But the 1st one usualy doesn't last long - you will begin melting shortly. Take your time and follow your program you will do just fine. Good luck and congrats on a great loss. Dawn -117
Kim T.
on 1/6/05 8:07 pm - Dracut, MA
Congrats, you've done great!!! I think it's just that it takes our bodies awhile to catch up, slow steady loss is good.... at the beginning when i was losing quickly the scale would stop or i'd even gain a little for a few weeks sometimes almost a month, then all of a sudden i'd be down 8 lbs!!! take a look at the whole loss for the month, instead of by the week... lots of luck to you! ~Kim
Jenna B.
on 1/9/05 7:51 am - Tyngsboro, MA
Plateaus at different stages are perfectly normal. Everyone is different at what stage they hit one, but everyone doe**** one eventually - just some earlier than others. I had my surgery in May and I hit a plateau a few months out. The post that suggested to keep away from your scale is a good idea because you'll end up getting obsessive about you weight (which I do ALL the time LOL). I think the best thing to do is make sure your getting enough water and protiene. Water really helps push past a plateau. Good luck! ~Jenna
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views