Need some help here

MAURA F.
on 1/3/05 8:50 am - WEST ROXBURY, MA
I went for my surgical consult today. I went to Dr Robinson at the Brigham. I liked him. My question is I have a mother that is super nervous and got very upset with me deciding to have the surgery......anyone else have family members not that supportive? Also what the deal with the sleep test?????? Any help is GREATLY appreciated! Happy New Year
(deactivated member)
on 1/3/05 10:55 am - South of Boston, MA
Maura- My MIL didn't want my DH or I to have surgery... she was more nervous that we'd croak more than anything... we just gave her the facts and figures from the hospitals statistics... to show that people don't really die often... and that we were less likely to have problems since we both didn't have many co-morbidities.... that eased her fears a tiny bit. My surgeon offered to talk with our parents in person to ease them up too... they didn't take up the offer--- but it helped to hear that the doc was that confident, you know? Now, we're 8 & 9 months out, and healthy, so she's seeing the benefits firsthand, and we're trying like heck to get HER to finally go through with it--- but she's way too nervous for herself. -Beth 313/298/158/130
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 1/3/05 11:16 am - 128 Belt, MA
Hi Maura, Have your mother read this website and help educate her on the surgery. Also, next time you see Dr.Robinson, you are welcome to bring your mother (if you want). I had Dr.Lautz and they told me to bring anyone who needed to have questions answered to my pre-op appt. I had the lap band, but after my mother read these posts, and read my profile she knew I was serious, dedicated and agreed that I needed to loose weight. Try a little education with your Mom. It might just do the trick. I didn't have the sleep test-but its to test for sleep apnea. Best of Luck, Joan F.
CoolWaterMom
on 1/3/05 12:32 pm - Monument Beach, MA
Hi Maura Welcome to my world ..... From the sounds of it you and I could be sisters with the same Mom. My Mom sounds just like yours I am so sorry poor you I know just what your going through. I did take her with me to see Dr. Robinson once. And she asked him and the PA a lot of questions that put her mind at ease some what I think no matter what she is told she is going to worry thats just her. Just get her as informed as posible this web site is a great source of info for anyone. Good Luck Keep Us Posted Hugs Loretta
lmt516
on 1/4/05 1:39 am - Brant Rock, MA
My mother was extremely nervous. I was lucky my Dr offered to talk to any of my family members who had those feelings. See if he will have a sit down and talk to her, it made all the difference in the world to my Mom.
(deactivated member)
on 1/4/05 6:49 am - haverhill, MA
I went to Dr Robinson too! He is a very good surgeon. Not a particularly friendly sort,(he can be a bit gruff sometimes) but I trust him. The PA's that work with him are the best. Very helpful! I still email one of them once in a while when I have a question. The hospital was wonderful too. I got excellent care while I was there. It is natural for your mother to be upset and nervous. The important thing is that you are sure of your decision. It is you who is going to do this and live with the results for the rest of your life. Good luck and feel free to email me anytime. [email protected]
Luann S.
on 1/5/05 6:27 am - Randolph, MA
The sleep test is to see if you have sleep apnea. If you do, they will want to keep you monitored after the surgery for a while as pain meds can supress your respirations and that is more dangerous if you have sleep apnea too. Luann LapRNY 9/14/04 -60 lbs and gave back the CPAP machine for apnea in November!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views