Clothes? What do you guys do?

lmt516
on 1/1/05 1:00 pm - Brant Rock, MA
I am thrilled with the lbs coming off, but I am running out of clothes that fit. A nice problem. What do you guys do? I am not sure what to buy until I kinda stabilize. I have already dropped 1 size and am half way to dropping another. I would appreciate any recommendations - Thanks.
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 1/1/05 11:35 pm - 128 Belt, MA
Luckily I work out of my home so dressing "nice" isn't required except for Parent/School events and Church. I now have 2 nice pair of pants, and I can still make due with some of the tops. Scarves help a lot to dress up a top. I am looking for a pair of dungarees when I go out today. Its nice to be slimmer and healthier, but kind of sad to box up all the old clothes. I am thinking spring I will need to get more clothes that really fit. Joan F.
(deactivated member)
on 1/2/05 7:47 am - haverhill, MA
Do you have any good consignment stores in your area? While I was losing weight...it seemed that I changed sizes every three weeks or so. I regularly visited three area consignment stores and found some nice,inexpensive clothing. Sometimes I could re-sell the clothing to help finance the newer stuff. Shopping is so much fun now!
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 1/2/05 9:09 am - 128 Belt, MA
Good suggestion on the consignment. I just bought 2 tops at the consignment shop--wore one to church and looked like a million bucks! I checked about selling-and they are no longer taking winter clothes. I do have some summer clothes-not too many but worth a try to sell. Joan F.
(deactivated member)
on 1/2/05 9:33 am - South of Boston, MA
Hiya Lisa- we're neighbors-- I'm about 5 minutes from your town... Where did you have your surgery? As for clothes, this is the only part that really sux, it's darn expensive to buy clothing this much, but, c'mon, it's so fun! I've held back a lot since I don't work outside of the home and I can get away with wearing casual stuff that may or may not fit very well. I am in dire need of clothes again now that I've dropped into another size range, but I am going to wait until I am closer to goal (spring) because I'm going to need an ENTIRE spring/summer wardrobe. So, this means I wash clothes alot... and I am wearing the heck out of the jeans that fit me well, and I wear a belt with the pants that are starting to fall off and give me saggy butt. I would just hold onto your smallest "fat" clothes and seek cheap deals on smaller sizes... eBay... Thrift shopping.... or friends with similar situations (hey- if I knew anybody locally, I'd have passed my stuff on... I've been listing a lot of eBay... ) -Beth 313/298/158/130
Susan F.
on 1/2/05 9:47 pm - Shapleigh, ME
Sometimes I find it is worth a daytrip to a favorite store. For example the Kittery outletts are a great destination and with so many options there, I always find something to boost the inner spirit. Also there is a small chain of stores in Maine that buys out from manufacturers and also salvage. The Chain is named Marden's They are located in many areas in southern Maine. Biddeford, Sanford, Westbrook to name 3. I have replaced my complete wardrobe several times with Mardens, with Newport News, Speigal, Liz and other recognizable quality labels. The average price is $8.88, and Marden's regularly marks things down. I also have found that to look for a bit of spandex or lycra in slacks and I can buy a bit snug and then the slacks will stay in shape and look good for a couple of sizes, as much as a 30 pound spread. I have also made good friends with my local tailor, who will alter good clothing much more reasonably than replacing them. I also buy with an eye to the future. At sz 18 I was looking for bargains in sz 14. Keep up the great work it is worth the challenges. Su Ellia
VAsnoopy
on 1/2/05 10:26 pm - North Andover, MA
I have no idea where Brant Rock, MA is (sad how geographically challenged I am!) but I am guessing it is not near me. But just in case, there is a store in Nashua, NH (20 minutes from me) called J.L. Plum. They are a store that sells leftover stock from catalogs. Everything sold is brand new. They have every size from a 2 up through a 5x. It'**** or miss...but when you hit! Nothing in the store is more than $20. I bought a long, wool, winter coat for $19.99. (still pre-op, needed a winter coat and didn't want to spend any realy $$ on it since I would only be wearing it one winter!) Most tops are between $5-$10 and most pants/skirts are between $7-$15. They also sell dressier clothes for work and an evening out. I highly reccommend checking it out if you are ever in the area.
lmt516
on 1/2/05 11:58 pm - Brant Rock, MA
Great suggestions. I never thought of consignment or Ebay. I have to wear semi decent clothes at work, not dress but no sweats which I have been stretching until they are just to baggy. Beth - very cool! I had my surgery at NEMC Tufts. I loved their program. Where was yours? Also do you know any support groups in our area? I hate driving to Boston, just seems a pain on days I am not working. Brant Rock is about 20 minutes north of Cape Cod, but I do get to NH alot to see friends. I will check out that store. Thanks guys.
(deactivated member)
on 1/3/05 10:50 am - South of Boston, MA
Lisa- I also went through NEMC with Dr. Tarnoff... as did my husband.... We're neighbors with the same doc! I don't mind the trip up there so much anymore- but then again, I only have to go once in a while....once a month for the post-op group, and then a few check-ups....My husband on the other hand, hates having to go there... and hasn't been able to come up for a meeting yet... it's hard to coordinate a sitter and his work schedule around a weeknight... As for groups- I have not found anything locally... other than some other hospital groups... but I've been comfortable going to the NEMC group since I am familiar there... but I'd love something closer and more frequent.... I was contemplating trying to start something up... there are so many of us.... need to meet more people! -Beth 313/298/158/130
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 1/3/05 12:32 am - 128 Belt, MA
Thanks for the tips on the clothing stores. Good road trip--a day out that doesn't revolve around food. Happy New Year to all! Joan f.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views