Have some questions!!!

Krista B.
on 12/28/04 8:46 pm - Leominster, MA
Ok, I had my psych intake a couple of weeks ago at UMASS. She told me I had to quit smoking or no surgery (that I knew), then she told me no more soda (I drink CF Diet Coke), and no more coffee of any kind, not even tea. Does anyone know why this would be? Oh and I have to do all this by the time I meet with her again on the 13th of Jan. I mean I knew I would have to give up some things, but I figured I would have more time. They are telling me my surgery will most likely be April or May Krista
(deactivated member)
on 12/28/04 9:03 pm - haverhill, MA
There are many good reasons for giving up what you were instructed to give up. Soda is carbonated. The bubbles cause discomfort in your new stomach. Caffeine dehydrates. As a new post op you will have enough trouble getting all the fluids into yourself without adding a dehydrating source to your body. Also there is the issue of caffeine withdrawal. The last thing you want while trying to recover from major surgery is to deal with caffeine withdrawal. Ick. I can tell you that I do drink coffee...but I am still very careful about making sure I get all the other fluids in that I need. I am also nearly three years post op. Good luck!
Krista B.
on 12/28/04 9:22 pm - Leominster, MA
Thanks, I knew that the soda I would have to give up. I didn't understand the coffee, I asked if I could drink decaf, but she said if I thought I really needed it I could have decaf in moderation. Not the Great One size I usually get from DD. I really can't wait to have this surgery and I don't want anything to hold it up, so I guess now is as good as time as any to get rid of it. Krista
(deactivated member)
on 12/28/04 9:39 pm - haverhill, MA
It may be the acid in the decaf. Our stomachs are very sensitive to it. You have a good attitude Krista, not letting anything get in the way of your surgery. I gave up the coffee for awhile. Now I drink alot of it.
Krista B.
on 12/28/04 9:50 pm - Leominster, MA
Well, I had researched the surgery for years, and now I only wish I had decided to do it sooner. The only problem I forsee is that I may have to push the surgery out a little do to the fact that I am the accountant at my work, and April is end of Fiscal Year so I have to be here for it. The one thing I really can't wait for is to be able to fly and put the seat belt on by myself. I flew to Orlando at the beginning of December, and the seat belt fit around me, but I had to have help getting it clasped. It was probably one of the most embarrasing things that has happened to me that had to do with my weight. Plus, I can't wait until my children's friends stop saying that I am "Big". I know there are alot of possible complications with the surgery, but I am ready. Krista 342 Pre-op
Jenna B.
on 12/29/04 8:46 am - Tyngsboro, MA
As for soda, it's because of the carbination. The carbination can stretch out the pouch and you'll be back at square one. As for caffine, it's a pouch irritant. I'm 7-mos out now & was a caffine freak when I started this process. I've had some caffine since my surgery - but more than 4ozs of regular coffee and I dump. hope this helps... ~Jenna
surfingirlb
on 12/29/04 9:53 pm - St Robert, MO
Hi Krista, I am having surgery in early January. I also had to give up the caffeine which was really hard because of the fact that I work nights. Anyway I did it but it was really hard, infact it was one of the hardest things of the whole process. That and the stupid group therepy. Anyway I hope it all works out for you. I am having my surgery at UMASS so if you have any questions let me know, I also live in Gardner! Good Luck!!!! B
Knotty D.
on 12/30/04 12:38 am - Marlborough, MA
Brandy, if you don't mind me asking this... What was stupid about the group therapy? I went through UMass as well, and I was just curious. I will tell you about my group therapy experience. I found it useful and I have been steadily losing weight since my surgery, but I am almost losing too much now. But that is another story for another time. In group thereapy, you have several different types of people from several different life situations. I also have 2 kids under 5, so what I found useful to discuss did not match most others who were either childless or empty nesters. I liked the people, but there was really nothing in common to discuss outside of the surgery. If there was a group for parents with young children, I could easily envision getting together and letting the kids play together. I found the group therapy enlightening, and I was able to critically look at my eating habits.
surfingirlb
on 12/30/04 10:43 am - St Robert, MO
Well for me my group only was concerned with what they could eat after the surgery. They all were complaining about how they didn't think that they should have to change the eating habits that much. Most of them seemed to feel that the surgery was all they needed not to change the way they ate. Also of the 16 people in my group 10 were repeating it for not passing because of not doing the homework. I guess to me it seemed like a waste of time since most of the group was non compliant so the therapist spent most of the time explaining to them over and over and over what they needed to do. It was a very frustrating 4 weeks for me Thats just my opinion though, and maybe I just had a bad group. B
Knotty D.
on 12/30/04 10:55 am - Marlborough, MA
Fair enough, I was just curious. The biggest turn off for me when I was gathering information about surgery was listening to people whine about their situations. Fortunately my group did not have any whiners, and we had a good mixture of men and women. Have you been to the support group meetings at UMass yet? I find them fun and informative, although I can't go every month. Best of Luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views