Just had Gastric Bypass Tuesday `12/21/04

janice B.
on 12/26/04 3:00 am - mashpee, MA
Still having pain and discomfort. Still have not had a bowel movement. I find i have so many prescriptions to take that i am so full just with the amount of water to take the drugs that the protein intake or anything else is hard to do. Any sugestions? When will i feel some releif?
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 12/26/04 3:15 am - 128 Belt, MA
Hi Janice, Congratulations on becoming a Loser! I had the lap band, not the bypass so I can't fully answer but if you pull out the literature the doctor gave and review it you might answer a few of your questions until a bypass person posts. If you don't feel well tomorrow don't be shy in calling your doctor. Best of Luck, Joan F.
mrstmc1958
on 12/26/04 5:13 am - Worcester County, MA
Hi Janice, Congrats on the surgery! I am 10 weeks out and yes it does get better. I did not have a bm for about 5 or 6 days. In the beginning it is difficult to get everything in for the day but that too will get easier. Work up to it though especially keep those fluids going. I felt human again about 2 weeks out but everyone is different. Welcome to the losing side!
(deactivated member)
on 12/26/04 5:39 am - haverhill, MA
Welcome to the losing side! Things will get better. I know it is tough to take all the meds and then still have room for the protein. Just do the best you can. The priority right now is just staying hydrated. Keep trying to get the protein in and little by little you will be able to do it.
Karen B.
on 12/26/04 10:58 pm - Vineyard Haven, MA
Take your meds with a slimfast protein drink. i know it's gross, but it's all about getting that protein in and not so much about enjoying it. Things do get a lot better day by day, just take it easy for a couple of weeks. Congrats on your courage!!
Luann S.
on 12/27/04 12:37 am - Randolph, MA
Congrats on taking this big step! As everyone has said, it does get easier with time and focus on the fluid intake and the protein will follow. I found sugar free Fruit 2O ice, sugar free popsicles and creamsicles easier to tolerate than just liquids. I also took my meds crushed in yogurt to get some protein in. Sugar free jello is good too. I don't think I had a "real" bm for about two weeks. If you are uncomfortable and not passing gas or anything you should probably check with your surgeon as to what to do. I drank a lot of caffeine free tea with lemon in that early stage and I think it helped keep the GI tract gurgeling at least! Everyone is different but you will find you feel better each day. Luann LapRNY 9/14/04 -60 lbs
lmt516
on 12/31/04 2:00 am - Brant Rock, MA
I am 1 month post-op and can s sympathize. It was hard to get them down and I must say now that I am just on vitamins and Caltrate with Pepcid, it is still hard. Not the taking bu the remembering. I never had any meds before so this is a tough adjustment, I know. I do the children's chewables which is easier for me, I do it before showering. As I get out I have my Pepcid ready. After I finsh hair and dressing I do my Caltrate, so before I am even ready for the day half mine are done. I set my cell phone to alarm later for the 2nd dose - I always answer my cell so makes a great reminder. As far as bm, I have had trouble there. Try Milk of Magnesia, after talking to your Dr that is. Do not use any others, I made that mistake and OMG, I ended up on the phone with the staff. I never had cramps like that before. I know you will do well. I am thrilled down 40lbs in 36 days.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views