Need some help

Karen W.
on 12/19/04 12:21 pm - Worcester, MA
Hi All, I just needed to vent. I'm a long way from my gastric bypass surgery. I need to make it till next August or September I'm told. That means I have to remain relatively stable for that long with no relapses. I'm currently on Social Security disability because of my depression. I want to get a job but no one will hire me because of my weight. I currently have Mass health and medicare. I guess what's really got me down is I was at a Christmas party today and my husband took pictures of me and I saw myself as I truly look to the world. I was really ashamed and sunk into a depression. I want this surgery so bad. I hate myself the way I am now, the health problems, the inability to do many things normal people do and the way I look or rather the way people judge me. I think thhe longer I wait for the surgery the more depressed I will become. I have already waited three years. Does anyone have any advice? Karen
Vivid
on 12/19/04 8:19 pm - Western, MA
Karen, why have you waited so long, because of the program you selected has a waiting list? Try looking for a different program or maybe consider lap band. This procedure has lower risks, is reversible and has the same results over 5 years time. It is a slower weight loss than RNY but is still effective. Please try and focus on what is to come instead of dwelling on how bad you feel now. Until then, please get counseling to help your self-esteem - that can't be fixed by any type of surgery. Good luck.
(deactivated member)
on 12/20/04 3:01 am - haverhill, MA
Karen, I have no words of wisdom,except that you are not alone. Post here when you need to. You may want to check in to some other surgery programs. Many of them take the insurance that you have. Maybe you can cut the wait time that way. Good luck.
Litewait L.
on 12/22/04 8:03 am - Worcester, MA
One thought I have is that some programs have medical weight loss programs in addition to their surgical programs. Perhaps you could enroll in a medical weight loss program where you'd have the benefits of the behavior change groups and support, medical supervision, etc., you would be able to lose weight and perhaps feel better about yourself, while waiting to get in a better position for surgery. NEMC has a medical and surgical program, and excellent behavioral, fitness, nutritional and medical support for both.
SkinnyMe71805
on 12/23/04 11:21 pm - Fitchburg, MA
Im so sorry to hear you have to wait so long. Is there a reason> I started my journey for surgery in July and I am already looking at a possible March surgery date. I will be having it at Umass Memorial Worcester. I see that you are also from worcester and was wondering what program you are in. I know that Umass does not really have a waiting list...There have been some signifigant changes in their program. They have hired more staff and there are more Dr's. The total process there from first info meeting till surgery should take at the least 6 months. They cal you right after your second meeting to set up a consult. No waiting list, you appt should be like a few weeks after your second meeting. Its taken me longer because my mother and i are both having surgery and our appts. have to to be schedulled together. But i know a woman named Jenna who just had her surgery Dec 20th and she was at the first meeting with me in July. I wish you the best, and definatley look into it.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views