Any thoughts?

mrstmc1958
on 12/17/04 10:00 pm - Worcester County, MA
Hi, I am about 2 mos post op and just don't have much energy. I have had a year off from working and am just now getting the resume out. I am worried I will need an afternoon nap if I get a job! I don't have trouble getting in my fluids. My average protein intake is about 50 grams and my nutritionist wants me up to 60. I can't stand the shakes and powders and I am never hungry so I eat by the clock. I have only lost 25 pounds in almost 9 weeks but I know that I can't compare myself to others. Breakfast = 3/4 cup of Kellogs Special K Low Carb with 16 oz 1% milk 26 grams protein total Snack = 1/4 cup baked almonds 7 grams protein Lunch = 1/2 cup chicken broth and 1/2 of a lean cousine 9 protein Supper = the other 1/2 of the lean cousine 8 protein I walk about a mile a day but I am so exhausted all the time. Please tell me it gets better
(deactivated member)
on 12/17/04 10:19 pm - haverhill, MA
My suggestion would be to ramp up the protein levels in your day. This is what I do and if it disagrees with your program nutritionist's advice....then please disregard it. I have several small meal/snacks during the day...each having approx to 200-250 calories. You are not as far post op as I am so keep that in mind, but here is a basic outline: 7:00 am Protein bar (low sugar, low carb) approx 200 cals....20 grams of protein (I like EAS Advantage low carb version) 9:00 or 9:30 low carb yogurt with 1/4 cup grapenuts cereal in it 190 cals 16 grams of protein 11:30 or 12:00 1/2 low carb pita or a rice cake with 2 oz deli turkey & slice of ff cheese. Sometimes I slip some bean sprouts or tomato into the sandwich...trying to get some veggies in. The raw veggies may not be ok for you though. 2:00 or 2:30 protein bar 5:00 2 or 3 oz of a protein 1/4 cup of green veggie small amount of potato 8:00 pm......1/2 cup of ff cottage cheese a few saltines or low carb high fiber cracker The cottage cheese has 80 cals and 13 grams of protein. This may be a lot of food for you....keep in mind I am almost 3 yrs post op. The main idea is to find foods with a good protein payoff and a lower amount of fat & cals. The two protein bars alone give me 40 grams of protein. Also....you are only two months post op. You will be tired....take it easy and be patient with your body. It does get a little better every day.
mrstmc1958
on 12/17/04 10:29 pm - Worcester County, MA
Thank you for the advice. I like grapenuts so I will add that to the yogurt for starters. I have only tried the atkins bars and they were awful so maybe I should try a few other brands to see if I can tolerate one and add that into the diet. I am just not very creative yet with my menu so I tend to eat the same way day after day.
(deactivated member)
on 12/17/04 11:15 pm - haverhill, MA
Me too! Same every day....well, with the exception of deleting the string cheese. Forces me to look at some other protein sources!
Luann S.
on 12/18/04 2:36 am - Randolph, MA
Hi I am just 3 months post op and all I can say is that my extreme tiredness and need for afternoon nap just suddenly disappeared about 10 weeks out, just when I went back to work. I think a lot must be said for tincture of time! Sounds like you are on a good road with the protein and Kim's suggestions are great! I know I don't get enough protein in, so I will try some of Kim's suggestions, too. I really think that our bodies need time to heal, each of us has a unique clock for that and it can't be sped up! Good luck with your job search! Luann LapRNY 9/14/04 -60 lbs.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views