what do psychs want from you to get approved?

sarah S.
on 11/19/04 4:42 am - southwick, MA
After researching I have found that people seem to have a lot of difficulty with the psychiatrists for approvals? What do they want to hear from you or what game do you play to get approved? Confused! Thank you
cinnponce
on 11/19/04 6:14 am - Seminole, FL
I think they want to hear the truth and be certain you are mentally ready for the surgery. Depression is very common after surgery and they want to assure that you can handle the changes you need to make. You need to give them honest answers. It's in your best interest.
lily K.
on 11/19/04 8:20 am - brockton, MA
dear sarah, i agree totally with sue, be honest and try to examine your reasons for wanting WLS and your commitment to all the follow up you will need both pre and post op. it is a big big change and although i am very happy with my results it is a lot of work ( and i was very lucky and have had no complications) best of luck to you on your journey lilykate
Vivid
on 11/20/04 11:54 am - Western, MA
Sarah, They want to know that you are informed about the risks/complications of surgery. That you understand the major life changes that will come about after surgery. They want to make sure you have no underlying psychological issues that could affect your recovery and that you have a support system in place to help you succeed. These are all things a good psychological consult will review with you.
Jodi H.
on 11/21/04 2:52 pm - Amesbury, MA
I can not stress to you enough how very important it is not to play games with them. This is a serious life and death situation. Depression is a huge thing with this surgery. All of us think that Hey I will be skinny and wearing new clothes, people will be checking me out and I can do all kinds of things that I never could do before--well guess what--that does not happen overnight. This is a life long journey that has to be taken very serious or you will DIE!!! That is the hard cold truth. You are doing this to save your life right? Tell them the truth-tell them how you feel-your issues-why you ate-because you know what-you are not going to tell them anything that they have not already heard. We all ate for a reason or two. Happy-Sad-Lonely-Excited-whatever it was-we found a reason to eat or ways through it. Be good to yourself, get all the help that you can get. This is a very hard thing to go through. It is worth it trust me--I have no regrets--but I was also honest with myself and the people that were trying to educate me and take care of me the best way they knew how. If you do not tell them you have a headache chances are you will not get an asprin right? Just an example--get what you need this is a new you! Take all the suggestions that you can--you are saving your life! Jodi
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views