BMI too low

Jerry L.
on 11/18/04 10:28 am - Lowell, MA
Hi my name is Jerry. I am a 46 year old male. I went to NEMC today and filled out the application for bypass surgery. When I got home a doctor from the hospital called and told me my BMI was too low to be a candidate. My BMI is thirty four. What concerns me is that I have several other things going on. I have diabetes, high cholesterol, peripheral vascular disease and depression. I asked the doctor if these problems would have an effect on my lower BMI. He said that these additional conditions would lower the required BMI. He didn't elaborate and I didn't push him. I should have. I am afraid that I will suffer a stroke or heart attack. Can anyone out there offer some advice? I feel that the doctor really didn't look past the BMI. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Jerry
Richard
on 11/18/04 12:43 pm - MA
Revision on 01/06/14
Jerry The current standards say you must have a BMI of 40 or more, or 35 or more if you have co-morbidities. So with your diabetes your BMI must be 35. Your profile says your BMI is 34.4 so you are only a 4 or 5 pounds away from qualifying. I don't believe that people should gain weight in order to qualify for surgery. But in your case all you need to do is have a big lunch, drink lots of fluids and stay away from the bathroom and you will qualify. If you are 5' 10 1/2" write down 5' 10" not 5' 11". They never measured my height. Every inch is about 7 pounds. When they weighed me at NEMC I had all my clothes on, even my sneakers and a coat. Perhaps if I was close to not qualifying the would have had me take the change and keys out of my pockets and removed the cell phone from my belt, but maybe they wouldn't have.
Jerry L.
on 11/18/04 10:25 pm - Lowell, MA
Richard thanks for the information. I didn't realize the BMI of 35 was with co-morbidities. I think I am right at the edge of qualiying. Thanks again, Jerry
skinny
on 11/18/04 12:58 pm - Alton, NH
Hi Jerry With a BMI that low you should be looking into the Lap Band. You can get the band with a low BMI. There FDA has approved trying out the Lap Band with BMI of 30.
Caeli B.
on 11/18/04 10:05 pm - Boston, MA
I believe that is only in one approved study. The BMI requirement for the rest of us otherwise remains the same - 40 w/no comorbidities, 35 with. Caeli
Knotty D.
on 11/18/04 8:45 pm - Marlborough, MA
Hi Jerry, I will tell you that I agree with Richard. For insurance to cover surgery, you need a BMI of 35. I would suggest the lap band. I would also try again after Thanksgiving, as you will probably gain some weight then. Best of luck. Joe
Cindy M.
on 11/22/04 5:29 am - Franklin, MA
Hi Jerry Go to the Weight Center @ Mass. General Hospital in Boston. They do allow surgery with BMI's in the 30's if there are other cir****tances such as yours on a case-by-case basis...I know this becuase I am going through MGH now with surgery scheduled in MArch - my BMI is 58 so I didn't have the problem you had but at a support meeting a couple of people were discussing (and the dr. confirmed) how the mid-range 34 & up were also "sometimes" qualified for surgery. They have a great website and the staff is excellent. www.mgh.harvard.edu/weightcenter Telephone: 617-728-4400 Good Luck! Cindy M.
mysticalflwr
on 11/22/04 12:04 pm - MA
Hi Jerry, I see that you are from Lowell, did you know that Saints Memorial in Lowell does RNY and lapband. That is where I had my surgery and there are 2 great surgeons there with GREAT support. I don't know about your BMI though you would have to consult with the weight management team. GOODLUCK. Michelle
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views