where do I start!?

sarah S.
on 11/17/04 11:44 pm - southwick, MA
I just found your website and I am so thankful. My primary physician suggested weightloss surgery some time ago and I have been researching for tha past couple of months. Where do I begin? THe world of insurance scares me!! I am 5'4'' 274, 23 yrs old and my insurance is health new england? Anyone out there with info about where to begin or about Health New england would be fantastic. I thankyou all for this sight....I feel I fit in.
cocalady
on 11/18/04 12:41 am - Northeast, CT
I am also just starting the process and am looking into programs at this time. One is the Weight Management Program at Mercy Hospital and the other is at Baystate Hospital. I have an appt in Feb at Mercy, this program is designed to show you all options available, go over your history, testing...etc. If surgery is the best option then they will refer you to someone. Now with Baystate ..I called the Baystate Surgical Group at 3300 Main St. Springfield and they will send out a complete questionare package you must fill out and return. Then they will call you with a appt for a consult. The entire process seems to be very time consuming. I believe surgery will not happen till late next year. I know the Baystate Program runs several support/informational meetings several times a month (call 413-794-7020). I actually live in CT, but live very close to the stateline. As far as insurance goes, I donot know about yours..I would give them a call to check coverage. Hope this helps, like I said I am too a newcomer to this!
Lisa B.
on 11/18/04 8:08 am - Blandford, MA
Hi Sara, I'm in the Baystate Program and I'm schelduled for surgery in January. The whole process has taken about a year from start to finish. I found Baystate to be very good and would definatly recommend them. If you are worried about qualifying fore the surgery you do as far as what Baystate looks at in qualifying someone. I don't have Health New England but the people whom I go to the support group mtgs with have had a very good approval rate without any problems. I encourage you to go to a mtg at Baystate....the next one is dec 8th at 6pm. If you have any questions please feel free to e-mail me. Lisa
Jaen G.
on 11/19/04 7:43 am - Pittsfield, MA
Welcome, Sarah! I am going through the process right now and am going through Pioneer Valley Surgical Associates. They are in an office bldg next to Baystate. They are very good and their process seems to take less time than the other group but is very thorough. I have Health New England too. Supposedly HNE is more likely to approve the bypass surgery than the Lap Band but at the last support meeting I went to someone with HNE had been approved for the band. I am going for the band and am waiting anxiously right now for approval. I had to go for a visit with a nutritionist in Feeding Hills and a 2 part psych visit in Spfld and attend 2 support meetings in W. Spfld as well as get a letter from my primary physician indicating I would be a good candidate for the surgery and pertinent records detailing any health problems caused by my weight (co-morbidities). Ask whatever you need to here....the people are great! Good luck!! Jaen G
Vivid
on 11/20/04 9:50 pm - Western, MA
Sarah, You didn't mention which procedure you are interested in, RNY or lap band. That may make a difference in which doctor you choose. Right now, only two surgeons in Spfld do the band, Dr. Haag and Fiallo at Pioneer Valley Surgcal. They do RNY also and will do surgery at either Baystate or Mercy. They have seminars all the time now, call their office to register. www.pvsurgical.com
marypoco
on 11/21/04 10:13 pm - amherst, MA
I do recall that this process does take alittle over a year to complete. I first had to call Baystate and tell them I am interested in wls. They sent me a packet to fill out and mail back. That put's you on the list to get a consult with the surgeon. My Daughter had Wls and has Health New England. She had no problems with them. I do recall my Primary Care also had to send a "referrel" suggesting that Wls would help my co-mobilities. I didn't have any "doctor" supervised diet attempts. thought I had dieted forever!!!! So I had to go to the nutritonest for a 6 months supervied diet! No biggie. I also went to every support Group meeting monthly that I could go to. They are VERY helpful! It is such a life changing surgery that you really need to know all you can about it. They Help soooooo much! The Physh appt. was tricky, I had to go 2 times before she would approve me. but, that was just me. She had Issues that she was concerned about. but, all worked out. I had Dr. Munshi, who is wonderful. I hear he is leaving which is bad news, but, My best to him. He is a wonderful surgeon. Good luck in your Journey. You know , before you know it you'll be on the loosing side like I am. It seems to take forever but, alas, it's been already 5 1/2 months for me!!! ~ Mary 268 (260) /184/145??
CATHYSDAN
on 11/22/04 5:35 am - three rivers, MA
Hi Sarah, I too am starting in this journey, I have had two meetings with the surgeon and nutritionist at Baystate, I also felt like you, I'm ready now and I can handle this with no problems! then the nutritionist gave me homework to do and boy was i surprised! in the two months till the next appt it was a lot of work. and yes i have accomplished that homework she has given me new things for this 2 months, and I too saw the wls psych and was told to see a therapist to deal with a few issues and tomorrow is my first appt. I am worried about it but I know now that there is a reason for their madness!! so go with what ever they want you to do. it will make the long run well worth it! best of luck to you. cathy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views