Any regrets????

M M.
on 11/9/04 10:37 pm
Hi Janet, I'm 3 months post op and down 60 lbs. I can tell you I did have regrets, up until about a month ago. Getting used to the protein shakes and feeling hungry when everyone else in the house is eating something wonderful. It's getting better, I can still only hold about an ounce and a half but feeling better each day. I cried for the first month every day asking " what have I done to myself " but each day that passes and each size I go down and every compliment I get makes it a distant memory. I went from a size 24 (sometimes 26) to an 18. I think you are asking the right questions before surgery. I can't believe others haven't had any regrets. But I definetly have had. Smile. You will make the right decisions.
Janet S.
on 11/10/04 9:09 am - MA
Thanks so much. You're honesty is much appreciated. I guess I'm just scared of the unknown...all the what ifs. Not to mention wondering how it will effect my daughters, my husband, all my relationships. My daugthers do NOT want me to have this surgery, and my husband says to do whatever I want. It's kind of strange though that my gallbladder is getting worse by the minute. Now I find myself thinking, if they have to go in to take that out I might as well have the surgery. UGH, so scary. But, thanks everyone. Janet
M M.
on 11/10/04 11:28 pm
Janet, I have a 14 year old son who was very scared, but wanted me to me healthy. My husband is the one who suggested the surgery, he wanted me to be happy. I was so scared for my family, afraid I wouldn't make it thru surgery. But as I said, I regreted it for the first month, cried to my doctor that I had made the biggest mistake of my life. My doctor told me that was not an uncommon reaction. If you follow your first instinct you will always do the right thing for you.
SteveApril45
on 11/13/04 8:31 pm - frostburg, MD
Any regrets???? Is there anyone out there who can honestly say that if they knew what they know now that they would NOT have had weight loss surgery? I am still in the seriously considering it stage, and yet am so afraid...that it won't work Hi Janet I only regret not having it done sooner.I was 43 when I had wls and I weighed 565 lbs.I am now 353 and on dec 1 2004 it will make one year.I am so much happier,I have a life now,I can walk without feeling like I was dying.I belong to a gym, I am living again and it is wonderful.No I have no regerts because I had no life before wls.I am now living a full life and I have a girl who cares for me and we are very happy and life is good.Don't worry about havinf wls janet,worry about not having it..........steve c
K M.
on 11/13/04 10:46 pm - Norfolk, MA
Janet, I had my surgery almost 9 months ago. Not one regret! It was the best thing I ever did. It took me 2 years just to make an appointment with the MGH Weight Center. I was so scared. Everytime I thought about it I just put it out of my mind. But once I made the decision to go to the Weight Center, there was no turning back. I've been fortunate and have had no complications (as the majority of people that have this surgery do). If you chose a competent surgeon and good hospital, things will go well. This surgery is a TOOL. As the months go on after surgery many people are able to eat normally. By normal I mean, not like most of us ate before, like ravenous lions, making all the wrong choices, but eating the correct balanced food plan -1500-2000 calories a day. For example, now, 9 months out of surgery when I go out to eat or at home, I'll have my meal - meat or fish, vegey and maybe pototoe. Before surgery I would of had bread/rolls slathered with butter with dinner. I can't do that now. If I did I would not be able to eat my dinner, I would be so uncomfortably full. If I didn't use my "tool" correctly, I could eat the bread slathered with butter and then wait an hour and then have my dinner, but that is not a good choice - for anyone. The majority of weight is lost the first year. During that year, we learn to eat correctly for life. Always eating "mindfully". Not a diet, never a diet. Diets set you up for failure, as we all know. But making the right choices and useing our new "tool" as it was meant to be used. I used to be in a size 2X-3X. Now am in 12/14. Shopping is fun. Walking, sitting, running, exercising is fun! No more sleep apnea with that God-awful machine is fun! Looking in the mirror is fun! I have also been very fortunate NOT to have any sagging skin. I don't know why, just lucky I guess. Only a little on my arms. This is an unfortunate side effect of this surgery for some people. I know some people that have lost tons of weight with this surgery that hate their bodies more now then before the surgery, because of the sagging skin. This can be remedied with surgery, but it does cost money (not covered by insurance), which some people will not be able to take advantage of. Some insurance companies are covering the tummy tuck, however. Best wishes with your decision. Kathleen
K M.
on 11/14/04 10:02 pm - Norfolk, MA
Hi Janet, I received your email and replyed, but it bounced back saying no such address. perhaps you should check the email you listed on this site. best, kathy
Knotty D.
on 11/17/04 11:32 pm - Marlborough, MA
Absolutely no regrets at all. I had almost no pain, and had only one complication which was a hernia, but I could have had it before. One thing about being overweight, you never know how many hernias you actually have as they hide deep in the fat. I had lost 90 pounds in 4 months, but now I think I have reached my bottom point at -96 pounds. I can now eat anything at all, and I do mean anything.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views