Any regrets????

Janet S.
on 11/5/04 1:33 pm - MA
Is there anyone out there who can honestly say that if they knew what they know now that they would NOT have had weight loss surgery? I am still in the seriously considering it stage, and yet am so afraid...that it won't work, that I will fail, that the recuperation will be horrifying, that the food/diet will be nasty, that the exercise portion will be too much...blah, blah, blah. How did you overcome your fears? AND, is there anyone who thinks it is NOT worth doing? Please be honest, as you all always are. I appreciate all of you, and this site tremendously. Thanks, Janet S.
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 11/5/04 8:29 pm - 128 Belt, MA
Hi Janet, I was just banded on 10/26. Why I feel so optomistic is that we all know we can be great dieters and loose weight. But we all gain it back. The odds are not in our favor. I had gotten to the point where I didn't even diet anymore. With the installation of the band, I feel I have a fighting chance to keep the weight off. Kind of like my concience for when I fall off the wagon. But the band won't let me--for I'll be sick barfing, or I won't get the right protein foods in and I'll get physically sick. Since I made the decision to have this surgery in the summer, I have lost 40 pounds--and I fully intend to keep these off plus more. THe band is a tool, and it has totally changed my outlook on dieting/food. Good luck. There is also a board--regrets--where you can also pose this question-or on lapband forum board--those boards are busier and you'll get additional responses. Joan F.
(deactivated member)
on 11/5/04 8:40 pm - haverhill, MA
Hi Janet, I can honestly say, at 2 and a half years post op....that I have never had a regret about my surgery....except maybe not doing it sooner. It has freed me from the daily guilt about food. I used to wake up every day vowing to do something about my problem with food....and by 9am...I had already broken my vow. Today....I know what I need to be healthy and this marvelous tool called WLS helps me. I still have days when food issues will creep up on me. I can stop myself now though. I honestly feel as though I was given a fresh, new opportunity to treat my body and myself with the respect and care it deserves. Good luck.
lily K.
on 11/5/04 11:03 pm - brockton, MA
dear janet, i am 4 months post op today and like kimberly i do not regret my decision to have WLS. i have lost almost 70 lbs(pre and post op) and all my health issues have resolved themselves. that being said, WLS is a highly personal decision, only you can decide whether this is the right decision for you. i was very lucky and had no complications, but there can be complications, some very serious, some just inconvenient. and the first few weeks or months can be very difficult as you re learn how to eat. all your questions are valid ones but every one is different and you could have an easy recovery or a difficult one, you just don't know. research your surgeon and hospital and take time to process all the info, i first heard of WLS over 5 years ago and looked into NEMC about 4 years ago, but the wait was so long(over 8 months for a first appt) that i put it on the back burner. although i have been very happy with my choice, i would caution you that this is a life altering decision, your relationship with food changes and it is not your best friend any longer and the first few weeks as you struggle to find the right things to eat, it can become a big pain in the neck to eat at all as you are not hungry!! to feel fear is normal, i had never been in a hospital overnight and i was terrified, but once i made my final decision i was okay. i wish you all the best and if you have any questions please feel free to email me lilykate
marypoco
on 11/7/04 12:39 am - amherst, MA
5 month's tomorrow and none so far. It's not as hard as I thought it was going to be, yes I like sweets and yes I like chocolate, but, I think I like the fact that I'm starting to FIT into normal size clothes much better and I've found some really good tasting sugar-free stuff , like cookies and even some really good tasting protien bars so I'm not fretting too much. It's funny though sometimes how much you still "want to" eat and how much you actually "can" eat. but, it's a good funny!~ mary
Richard
on 11/7/04 6:18 am - MA
Revision on 01/06/14
Janet This is a link to a post where a friend of mine talks about her regrets. http://www.obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/amosforums/any_wls_regrets/postdetail/163.html?vc=0
Cindy M.
on 11/7/04 9:40 pm - Franklin, MA
Hi Janet, I am going thru what you are - though I have been researching off & on for about 3 years now - I have finally gotten to the point where I am going to do it - I went to three different hospital/programs, had my 1st exam, met with the shrink, was evaluated etc. at each hospital and met the surgeon....that is how I decided which one to go with...I don't know if you have done that yet but you need to ... you need to find the hospital and the program and the doctor's that you are comfortable with the most. FYI - I chose Mass. General - they have an Obesity Center and everyone there is just wonderful. Most of the time they are late on appts. (what dr. isn't) but other than that so far my experiences have been good. I chose them becuase I felt they had the best "overall" program (before, during and after) and I liked the staff & doctor's better which is important to me - not to mention it is one of the best hospitals in the country. I also went to St. Elizabeth's and Newton/Wellesley but was not as impressed with their programs, but I know people who had it done at both and they liked it there - so it is what feels right to you. I still have fears...I am petrified of complications - the worst of course being possible death. I want to live for another 20-30 years! But then that is what made me decide to do this - I have a "good" life but I have a bad "quality" of life - I have a new grandson and walking around the house holding him makes me out of breath - that is a bad sign. I need to live loner and be healthy AND happy and right now I am not and the only way to fix it is with surgery as I have done everything else. I know several people who have done it over the past 10 years or so and everyone has different experiences - some good and some bad - but they all say they would do it again. I hope this helps some knowing some one else is in your shoes. If you want someone to "chat" with as you go through the process, feel free to e-mail me....we can help each other through it as it sounds like we are at about the same place or pretty close. Wish you the best. my e-mail is: [email protected] Good luck! Cindy M. Franklin, MA
Carolyn A.
on 11/8/04 5:46 am - Whitman, MA
Hi Janet. No regrets at all. I would do it again tomorrow. The choice was easy for me. I weighed 278lbs at 5ft 3in. and as a nurse was having trouble running around the floor taking care of patients. I also used to sweat alot, very embarrasing at times. Now, I work out everyday with so much energy to spare. Recovery was easy, no pain at all. I have lost 35lbs in almost 3 months and wear a size 18 from a 24. I feel great. Thge compliments are wonderful. This surgery will change your life for the best. Keep in touch and let us know your decision. We will be here to support you. Carolyn
Janet S.
on 11/8/04 10:28 am - MA
Thanks to everyone who offered me their insight. I appreciate your help and honesty. I guess I'm wondering about my "relationship" with food. I know I can go days without eating if need be, and I know I can skip meals all the time. If I could just stop eating for ever I would be fine, like quitting smoking, but it doesn't work that way. I'm not sure how well I will handle so many liquids and so much protein, AND, having to think about food so much again. I HATE that! I have been so happy over the last four years of NO dieting and not even thinking about food, AND, haven't lost or gained more than five pounds. Arghhhghhh. This is so frustrating, frightening, and seems like such a drastic final step with no chance for reversal etc. I don't think the lap band will work for me becaus I don't eat a lot. My metabolism is shot, and I probably eat the wrong things, but not large quantities. I hate that full feeling. Oh shoot. I apologize, I know I'm ranting. Thanks again. Janet
NoSurrender
on 11/9/04 12:20 am - Oxford, MA
Hi Janet, I guess for me, overcoming my fears happened when I spoke to the GP who works with the surgeons at my hospital. He took a short physical exam of me, and when I spoke with him he told me that once you reach a BMI of 40, the risks of surgery are less than the risks of doing nothing. My starting BMI was 51. It was riskier to stay the course I had been on. There are some things about the diet that I don't like (protein supplements are, for the most part, not very tasty), and it was a struggle getting into the habit of exercising (it is now starting to be part of my morning routine--like showering or bushing my teeth). And despite the fact that I am what many here would call "a slow loser" I am VERY glad I had this done. It has given me the boost I needed to make important changes to my life. I am now claiming a healthy life for myself. Good luck w/ your choice. I know it's not an easy decision. Just remember to do what is best for YOU. Take care, MaryAlice
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views