MGH vs NEMC??

Donna D.
on 10/28/04 11:59 pm - Randolph, MA
Just have to clarify something for all of you. The "Center of Excellence" designation does have a standard that each hospital has to show & there is a whole application process but I can tell you with a lot of surity that not every hospital in the city wants to go through the process of getting this distinction because they feel it is more a money-making idea then anything really associated with quality of care. NEMC is getting it but MGH & BWH are rethinking it as is Faulkner & Newton-Wellesley. They all probably will because people like yourselves will be looking for that designation thinking it assures quality. It really doesn't. I know because I am a nurse in Quality. I had the surgery in other than any of the hospitals I am associated with for privacy issues so even that choice doesn't mean I think the quality is better one place versus another. My biggest thing when I was looking for a prigram was the comprehensive program that was multi-disciplinary. And pretty much they all have that. Just wanted to clarify definitions for you all, to keep you an informed consumer. Donna -65
Richard
on 10/29/04 3:54 am - MA
Revision on 01/06/14
Donna I agree that the designation doesn't guarantee quality. But it can go a long way to keep people away from problem surgeons and hospitals. WLS is a cash cow right now. Surgeons with minimal training and experience are losing patients. All hospitals don't have the standards and oversite we take for granted in Boston. Read this article on surgeon experience. It indicates a 5% mortality rate for inexperienced weigh loss surgeons. http://www.pslgroup.com/dg/23dfca.htm
cinnponce
on 10/23/04 6:43 am - Seminole, FL
Hi Lindsay, I don't know much about the program at MGH but I did have my surgery at NEMC. I don't think I would have gone anywhere else. I think the program was fantastic and the entire staff was informative and supportive. I had surgery on Sept 13 and I am doing fantastic. NEMC is the platinum stand for WLS. They played a big part in the safety standards now in place for Massachusetts. Like others mentioned, it is one of the "Centers for Excellence". Also, their statistics are better than other hospitals. Good Luck with your decision. Sue
(deactivated member)
on 10/23/04 11:41 am - South of Boston, MA
Lindsay- I'm also a NEMC surgery alumni We seem to be prolific. My husband & I both had our WLS at NEMC with Dr. Tarnoff. We had good experiences all around, and they're great about helping out after surgery if you need it. (I went back to the ER with some dehydration issues...and DH went back for vomiting...and we were taken care of immediately...) I was done on 4/5/04 and he has his WLS on 5/10/04... lots of pounds gone in this household!! Beth HW- 313 SW- 298 CW- 178 GW- 130
Lindsay J. B.
on 10/23/04 12:54 pm - New England
I can't thank you all enough for all the info! ... It's a great help! One follow up question for Sue ... is there a one-stop shopping place for comparison mortality/complication stats rates for Boston hospitals? Or did you gather that information in conversation with each program? Lindsay
cinnponce
on 10/24/04 4:18 am - Seminole, FL
I basically asked around.
SkinnyMe71805
on 10/25/04 6:32 am - Fitchburg, MA
Before deciding to have surgery i had changed which hospital i had wanted to have it at about a million times. I first decided on NEMC, but then i heard rave reviews about Beth Israel Deaconess and i considered going there. Actually i had everything all set up for myself to attend their meetings and everything. Then I started talking to more and more people and their was an overwhelming response to how the program at Umass Medical's Weight Center in Worcester was indeed the most comprehensive approach to getting the surgery. It is like screening you for the CIA!! You have to attend atleast two informational meetings, Undergo an assesment with Dr. Gitkind (one of the surgeons), two visits with Behavioral med, 4 Nurtitional counceling sessions (one each week for a month), another meeting with behavioral med, consult with a surgeon of your choice to discuss which surgery is right for you, Get a surgery date and in the mean time wait for approval, have the surgery, meet with each the surgeon, nutrition and behavioral med post op. This whole process took about 8 months to a year earlier, but since they have expanded their center, it should take as little as 6 months from first assesment with surgeon to actual surgery. Right now i am at the halfway mark. I am attending my second behavioral med meeting in 2 weeks (its taking me a little longer because my mom and i are doing this together, so it has been a little difficult to schedule us together. But i am optimistic and i have my mind set on a Late January, early February surgery date. Good luck to you in whatever hospital you choose. Research as much as you possibly can. It helps!!
Julie H.
on 11/5/04 11:54 am - Georgetown, MA
Hi Lindsay, Both my husband and I had our surgeries at MGH. I have noticed that there isn't many members on this group that went to the Weight Center there. Because of that we started our own support group for patients of MGH Weight Center. We both had great teams and super care. There is a waiting list for them as well as other surgical centers. But I think if you rush through the process you aren't really ready for the big changes to come into your daily life and how you will deal with life issues after surgery. You go through intensive testing, meetings with doctors, surgeons, nutrionist, psych eval and lifestyle classes before and after surgery at MGH. The weight center has been around for four years now and has done over four hundred surgeries. They are top notch and don't seem to get enough credit on this board. Both my husband Peter and I posted really complimentary opinions on this site. I love everyone there and all they have done for us. Dr. Lee Kaplan- the director of the center is a super person and cares about your needs even if he isn't your doctor. Not to mention- they haven't lost any patients on the table or had an serious problems with anyone of their patients. There is a meeting on November 8th at 5:30pm in the Garden Room at the MGH Hospital . There will be surgeons and the staff nutrionist there to answer questions for anyone that is post-op or thinking of having the surgery. I will be there myself this week. Good luck with your choice and much luck and happiness on your journey Julie Hopkins
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views