MGH vs NEMC??

Lindsay J. B.
on 10/22/04 11:14 am - New England
Hi All, I'm new to the board and have been starting to research different WLS docs/hospitals in the area. I have narrowed my choice down to MGH and NEMC at this point, because both offer structured, multidisplinary programs. My question is, what if any big differences are there between these two weight centers if any? Is one or the other better in terms of results? staff? hospital experience? or some other measure? I know these are all pretty subjective questions, but any insights or opinions you can share would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and ... Go Sox! Lindsay
Liz F.
on 10/22/04 11:22 am - West Quincy, MA
I don't know anything about those two institutions, but have you also considered Boston Medical Center? Liz -48
Lindsay J. B.
on 10/22/04 11:24 am - New England
Hi Liz ... I haven't considered Boston Medical Center yet ... is that where you went? - L.
Liz F.
on 10/22/04 11:34 am - West Quincy, MA
Yeppers - myself and a BUNCH of others and all successfully! The surgeon is Dr. Donald Hess out of Quincy Medical Center, but he operates in Boston Medical Center. He is HIGHLY recommended. We have support groups at Boston Medical the 1st & 3rd Thursday of every month - maybe you could come to one? Liz -48
lily K.
on 10/22/04 10:55 pm - brockton, MA
dear lindsay, i am not familar with MGH, but i had my lap RNY at NEMC and had great results, no complications and altho they said i would be in for 3 days, i felt good enough to go home in 2 days. i have lost over 65 lbs(pre and post op) the program there has been around since 1985 and they are a "center of excellence" (i don't know what that means myself as i am not a medical person!) the follow up is wonderful, i go to the post op meetings and have joined a small post op group as well. good luck with your decision and if you have any questions please email me lilykate ps parking isn't too expensive either!!
Richard
on 10/23/04 12:06 am - MA
Revision on 01/06/14
Lindsay Since I didn't have surgery at MGH I can't give you a good comparison. But I can tell you that NEMC has a fantastic program and I am very impressed with all their people. The OCC (Obesity Consult Clinic) has all the people you need to see in one area. They offer excellent pre-surgery instruction and post-op follow up care and group meetings. I originally found NEMC because Dr Shikora was featured in several newspaper articles. Just before my surgery PBS was at NEMC because several members of the NEMC staff including Dr. Shikora were interviewed by Allan Alda as part of a series on obesity. I will be at the game tonight! GO SOX!!! http://www.obesityconsult.org/
Lindsay J. B.
on 10/23/04 12:40 am - New England
Hey Richard ... How in the world did you score tickets? Did you camp out overnight at Fenway or what? Hope you have a great, great time tonight!!! - Lindsay
Lindsay J. B.
on 10/23/04 12:32 am - New England
Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences! I will definitely check out NEMC. Lindsay
(deactivated member)
on 10/23/04 1:00 am - Fort Myers, FL
Lindsay--I had my surgery at Lahey Clinic and they have a great program. I understand that NEMC also has a very strong program. One thing to consider when reviewing programs is the manner in which the "waiting list" is handled. Someone once told me that MGH does their list on a co-mobidity/need basis. Someone who has health risks would be placed higher on the list. Good luck to you in your process.
Richard
on 10/23/04 1:30 am - MA
Revision on 01/06/14
Lindsay My company is a contractor for the Red Sox. We do Lighting, Sound, Video and Electric Power. So I get this great World Series pass with my name and picture on it. I'm going to frame it when the series is over! Lily has a good point about the "Centers for Excellence". It is a designation given to the only the best hospitals, ones that meet criteria of the American Society for Bariatric Surgery. They evaluate experience, training, number of surgeries per year etc. NEMC has it, I don't know about the other Boston hospitals. Personally I would not consider a hospital that doesn't have it. Go Sox!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views