Quick poll about process length

SkinnyMe71805
on 10/15/04 4:11 am - Fitchburg, MA
Hey all. Im writing a paper for my sociology class about how "obese" and "overweight" people are automatically put into a seperate "class" from other individuals and how surgery has helped many overcome diseases such as diabetes, PCOS, sleep apnea and depression. And also which hospital has the best ratings. Real quick if you could, let me know how long it took from the first consult with the surgeon to surgery date, your age, co-morbities, how much you have lost to date and which hospital your surgery was at.
susan S.
on 10/15/04 4:42 am - Boston, MA
hi niesha, it was about 3 1/2 months from my first call to ask questions about the program until my surgery. i could have had my surgery about 3 weeks before i had it but i thought the hospital might be shortstaffed in august. i went to newton-wellesley hospital, i am 49, i have arthritis in my knees. in the 30 days since my surgery, i have lost 22.5 #'s. good luck with your paper. susan
cinnponce
on 10/15/04 5:06 am - Seminole, FL
Hi Niesha, I officially started the process at New England Medical Center on May 19th. I met with the surgeon on July 14th and my surgery was on Sept 13th. I am 49 years old and had diabetes, high cholesterol, high blood pressure. I am currently taking no blood pressure or cholesterol medication. My doses of insulin are decreasing as I lose weight. I have lost a total of 36 pounds, 26 since surgery. Good Luck with your paper. Sue B
marypoco
on 10/15/04 8:10 am - amherst, MA
HI Niesha, I had a much longer wait than the other 2. I sent in my paperwork last May. I had my consult in October. I had to have a 6 months doctor supervised diet /nutrition program . I had my surgery June 8th. So 1 year and 1 month from start to finish. I had my surgery at Baystate Hospital in Springfield. My surgeon was well worth the wait. He was excelllent. Baystate Hospital was very attentive and the staff was very nice and helpful. I had severe sleep apnea which is now gone. I had gout, which is gone. I had bladder control problems which is gone I had very bad feet problems which I couldn't even take walks forget about it! Now I walk about 1.5 miles 4-5 times a week. I am 49 years old. I have lost 65 lbs/ 73 from my highest weight. This surgery is a godsend! Mary
lily K.
on 10/15/04 10:13 am - brockton, MA
dear niesha i had my surgery at NEMC, first appt was in 4/04, had lap RNY on 7/6/04, i was 47, had diabetes, high triglycerides, and high blood pressure, have lost 65 lbs btween pre and post op. now on no medication except vitamins. Tufts/NEMC has an excellent reputation and i had a great experience with their program. best of luck with your paper. lilykate
NoSurrender
on 10/15/04 11:00 am - Oxford, MA
Such a question might be misleading. In the program I was in, the consult w/ a surgeon was one of the very LAST things that happened. For instance, before I saw my surgeon, I had been in the program for 10 months. I first had to attend two informational semianrs. Then I had 2 appointments with the psychologist, had a short physical and medical history with the program's general practitioner, participated in a 4 week behavioral eating program, met with the nutritionist, and took a "post-op nutrition class". After I finished all of those requirements, THEN I got to see the surgeon. I had my surgery exactly one month to the day after I met with my surgeon. My surgery was 9/3/04. I am 40 years old, and I have high blood pressure and obstructive sleep apnea. I've lost 28 lbs. since the day of my surgery. I had my surgery at UMass Memorial in Worcester.
Luann S.
on 10/16/04 12:09 am - Randolph, MA
Consult to surgery:5 months Age:51 Comorbidities: hypertension, hyperlipidemia,Type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, asthma Wt. lost since initial visit: 38 lbs, 25 since surgery date. No longer on BP or diabetes meds and discontinued CPAP machine Surgery at Boston Medical Center. Dr Hess, staff and nursing care were all great! It would be great if you could post your results! Good luck! Luann
SkinnyMe71805
on 10/18/04 6:38 am - Fitchburg, MA
Thank you all so much as feedback is always appreciated. I just got my second appt for Behav.Med on Nov 11. Im guestimating around Jan or February for surgery. Thank you all so much, my teacher loved my paper.
DJJCHARRIS
on 10/18/04 6:41 am - Winchendon, MA
14 months from 1st meeting to surgery Age: 34 Umass Memorial, Worcester (**** rating - the team was awesome) No co-morbities - except being mobidly obese Lost 104 lbs and 4 clothes sizes since 1/8/04 Dawn
Lisa D.
on 10/18/04 11:45 pm - Stoneham, MA
good luck with your paper. First consult Nov 26, 2003 Surgery Feb 11, 2004 Start weight 456 Weight today 293 Co-morbs: apnea and depression. Hope that helps Lisa www.ldiruzza.com
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views