newbie to the MA board

suzend
on 10/13/04 12:19 am - Groton, MA
Hello everyone , I'm looking for ppl who are having surgery or are post-op to help me with my research in WLS, surgeons, and hospitals. I bascially want to hear your story. The ups and downs of deciding to have this surgery, your research, how you decided on your surgeon and hospital. What kind of insurance you had and did you have problems getting approval? I started researching WLS about a month ago. I'm 5'4" and weigh 290. Been on every and any diet imaginable. Overweight since I was about 8 yrs old. I'm sure you've heard it all before. Again, I would love to hear from you. If you have a chance, please drop me a line. I sound desperate dont I? That's because I am.....I'm tired of being out of breath, not be able to move, having to manuver to get dressed....just plain tired of being unhealthy. Thanks, Suzen
Krista B.
on 10/13/04 12:37 am - Leominster, MA
Hi Suzen, I am a newbie also. I have been researching WLS for the past 4 years. Last month my PCP finally asked me about my weight, what I've done, and if I've thought about WLS. I told him to give me the referral because I am ready, and if I don't do it now I will most likely die from my weight. I am 5'9" and over 350. (i don't know exact weight because dr's scale only goes to 350). I've done the most of my research through this website. I have BCBS-HMO Mass, I am attending the UMASS Medical Weight Loss Center in Worcester for the program. I am attending the orientation meeting tonight so hopefully I will learn alot more tonight. Krista
cinnponce
on 10/13/04 1:02 am - Seminole, FL
HI Suzen, I am 4 weeks post-op and it was the best decision I ever made for myself. I feel better now than I have in years. I researched WLS for many months before acting on it. I was 5'3" and 292 lbs when I finally decided to have surgery. I made an appointment with my PCP and we spent an hour discussing the pros and cons as well as the risks and change in life style. We also discussed some criteria for the surgeon and hospital. I then researched many area (including Boston) hospitals and surgeons. I knew I wanted to have the surgery done laproscopically and not open. I decided on New England Medical Center. I had sent an e-mail to their minimally invasive surgery (smallscars.com) and Dr Tarnoff responded to me the same day. I was very impressed with the hospital and surgeons statistics for WLS. So, I filled out the paperwork and the rest is history. I got into the WLS program and did all the pre-op sessions, I met with their exercise physiologist and got a fitness program pre-op and I have never looked back. I have HMO Blue, so I needed to get pre-approval for the surgery. The Obesity Consult Center at NEMC submitted all the paperwork for me and I was approved first time. I am now down a total of 35 pounds (25 since surgery) and I am never hungry. I am still on Stage 4 of the eating plan and my next visit with the nutritionist is Oct 25. I should then be able to advance to the final Stage. My whole attitude towards food and myself has dramatically changed. Also, I was able to come off my blood pressure and some of my diabetes medications. My insulin doses are decreasing and I hope to be off that soon. My only regret is that I did not decide to do this years ago. Feel free to send my any questions and I'll do my best to answer them. Sue
lily K.
on 10/13/04 4:44 am - brockton, MA
dear suzen my story is very similar, same height but weight 260 when i went in for my first consult at NEMC, they were wonderful there, a great program and great hospital. when i first went in i was unsure if i even wanted WLS but at 47 my health was going downhill fast ( on 70 units of insulin for type 2 diabetes and recently had been put on pills for high blood pressure and cholesterol) i researched the programs they offered and decided after meeting with the surgeon on lap RNY. they encourage you to lose some weight before your surgery and by substituting my usual fast food lunch with a protein shake i was able to drop 10lbs before surgery. there are a lot of people to see both before and after surgery, the behvioral therapists, nutritionist, physician asst, and surgeon. it is a big time commitment but altho my local hospital does this procedure i wanted the security of a program that has been around since 1985 and a surgeon who has done over 400 procedures i had never been in a hospital before so was terrified , but every thing went great i was out in 2 days, right out of surgery i felt like i had been run over and it does hurt to move but overall more a feeling of uncomfortableness than severe pain (of course the morphine pump helps!!)i i had surgery early tuesday morning and i was home thursday at 4PM. every day you feel better, now 3 months out i have lost an additional 55 lbs. i now wear a size 16 jeans, down from a 22-24 and best of all no medication except for my vitamins!! i feel great can move so much easier, have been walking and now joined the local YMCA so i can amp up my workout!! make no mistake, this is a big big decision and you will not be able to eat as you do now, and especially the first few weeks when you are on liquids and soft foods it is very hard. but it gets so much easier. i signed up for a post op group that meets once a month and that has been helpful as a lot of the people in the group are farther out than i am and are a great source for what is to come. good luck with your decision and please feel free to email me if you have questions lilykate
Vivid
on 10/13/04 7:14 am - Western, MA
Hi Suzen, I am beginning my quest to have Lap Band surgery. I researched both WLS and decided on Lap Band because it is not permanent, it is adjustable and there is no dumping syndrome. Pioneer Valley Surgical in Springfield are the only ones I know of that do the Lap Band around here. I am 5'7" and weigh 267 (282 highest weight). I have met the surgeon, have the PCP letter, the dietician and the psych consult so I hope to get my approval soon. My insurance is HMO Blue and I plan on having the surgery at Mercy Hospital in Springfield (had surgery there earlier this year and really liked them). Do a lot of research and make your choice, don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions here. I found a lot of answers on different forums here. Good Luck!
NoSurrender
on 10/13/04 11:00 am - Oxford, MA
Suzen, I had my surgery last month at UMass Memorial in Worcester. There are three surgeons who do the surgery there, and you can request one in particular if you like, but they all pretty much work together anyway (and I met a doctor yesterday who will become surgeon #4 to perform the procedures next year). The program in Worcester is long. You have to attend 2 informational sessions and then put your name on the list. I was on the list from November to February. In February I met with the Psychologist and the Nutritionist. I also had a short physical and medical history taken by the program's GP. In March I had a second appointment with the psychologist, and in May I took a 4 week Behavioral Eating course. Then I had to attend a post-surgical diet class. After that I finally got to see the surgeon, which didn't happen until August. So from October to September... that's 11 months. But I'll tell you what--when it came time for my surgery, I was READY. I didn't have a bunch of questions like "what can I eat?" or "how much protein should I get?" or "how do I handle head hunger?" I'm glad it took 11 months for the process. Those doctors, psychologists and nutritionists made sure that they were cutting into someone who knew what kind of commitment they would have to make by having this surgery. I had Harvard Pilgrim HMO and I was approved within one week of the insurance company receiving my information from the doctor's office. Good luck with your research. If you have any questions, just drop me a note.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views