being tired

Lisa B.
on 10/4/04 1:14 am - West Yarmouth, MA
i hear alot about people post op being so tired and having no energy, why is this and what can i do to prevent this from happening , should up my iron now is there something i should or could be taking to get my body ready for all the changes ? Lisa B
cinnponce
on 10/4/04 8:58 am - Seminole, FL
Hi Lisa, I had my surgery on Sept 13 and I do find that I get tired. I asked and two things are happening. One, your body is still healing on the inside after the lap scars heal. Healing takes energy. Also, after the surgery, you are sustaining your body on 500 - 600 calories a day. Your body is used to much more than that. Hence, you feel tired. As the time goes on, you will begin to feel less tired and have more energy. I find that I take a walk about 2 or 3 times a day. I feel much better after walking and it helps to build up my stamina. I also saw the exercise physiologist at NEMC and got a fitness program before having the surgery. I really feel that that help tremendously. Sue
Luann S.
on 10/4/04 2:52 pm - Randolph, MA
I had my surgery the day after Sue and although some activity each day does help, I think we have very high expectations of ourselves! Even if the outside is healed (which mine isn't yet) it takes 6-8 weeks for tissue anywhere in our bodies to heal to a state of closure and probably even longer to get back to a previous state. We are barely taking in enough protein to sustain that healing! One thing I have learned with the slight glitches in my recovery-stuff happens! It's nobody's fault, it can't necessarily be prevented and we have to roll with the punches. Although I am very pleased that I am not as rolly as I was 3 weeks ago! I think the best preparation you can do is to have a positive mind set. Luann Lap RNY 9/14/04 -19 since surgery and 10 preop= 29 lb loss!
Carolyn A.
on 10/7/04 2:06 am - Whitman, MA
Hi Lisa, There is not much you can do, but listen to your body. I had little energy for about 2 weeks. Starting weight 278lbs, now 246lbs and full of energy almost 8 weeks later. Cannot sit still now, always cleaning or walking around the mall. Be patient after, let your body heal. You'll feel better in the long run. Carolyn
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views