Mistake? Please help me

Mary M.
on 9/25/04 4:51 am - Hampton, NH
I had surgery on Sept 14th and developed an infection from the antibiotic they gave me during surgery. Has anyone else felt they made the biggest mistake of their lives? I'm feeling that way right now. I feel it will never get any better. I'm weak, tired and hungry. It seems everyone else after surgery sounds excited and happy, I feel just the opposite.
Kim T.
on 9/25/04 7:23 am - Dracut, MA
Hi Mary!! you are not alone!!! i felt that way for a bit after surgery and i didnt have ONE complication from it... it takes awhile for our 'heads' to catch up with the rest of our bodies.. when you start feeling this way remember the reasons you had the surgery, to feel better, look better, live longer, ect... It does take a good couple of months (for me about 3 1/2 to 4 months) to get familiarized with food again, how to eat properly and what works/doesnt work, it can be VERY frustrating!! but hang in there, if youre like many of us, you've dieted for yrs and yrs.. but, i can honestly say that the 4 months of struggle was WAY easier than the 15+ yrs i spent dieting, and i SEE results this time, it IS working and at this point, i don't even have to put in much effort!! so hang in there Mary, it is tough at first, but each day will get better and easier!! it's a bumpy ride for sure, but you'll LOVE the destination!!! ~Kim lap RNY 4/7/04 down 72 lbs!!!
Liz F.
on 9/25/04 10:23 am - West Quincy, MA
Oh yes hun - the 3 weeks after I got home from the hospital the 2nd time (from complications) I swore at everyone and everything and wondered what the flock I did to myself. It will pass - trust me. The only thing I am dealing with now is lack of energy BIG TIME. I had my surgery on August 10th 2004 - gastric bypass, gall bladder removed, and also adhesions fixed from my appendix being removed 20 years ago. So I really had three operations, plus tissue samples being removed, so I can say four But your thoughts will pass - I still say I would not do it again if given the choice and would not recommend it to anyone, but I am told that will change with time as well. Just make sure you take all your pain meds because they make a HUGE difference... HUGGERS! Liz from Quincy, MA. -40 so far
Luann S.
on 9/25/04 10:34 am - Randolph, MA
Mary, I had complications too, a wound infection. I can't say I have regretted the surgery, some of the voluntary research samples I regretted, but I can say that every day gets better for me. I just had a lesson in sipping too fast -you can swallow sf jello too quickly and not chew it enough- and it hurts and causes sweats and cramps! But....... I learned a lesson and that is that there is a process to this that we can't hurry. Our little new tummy is in charge now! Knowing what you are losing helps, I would wait for the doctor visit to get weighed though. Also having the complication you have, can easily upset your fluid and electrolyte balance, so make sure you are able to quell the diarrhea and that they are checking your labs. I find it helpful to track the protein and fluid volume of everything I put in my mouth during the day and I definitely feel better when I can get that minimal amount in. Hang in there! Also, if you have been on other meds, make sure with the doctor that ordered them that it is ok stop, otherwise take them whatever way you can. Every day will get a bit better. Try to get out of the house a little each day, too. Hope to see you on the happier side soon! Luann
Knotty D.
on 9/25/04 11:48 pm - Marlborough, MA
Hey Mary, I had surgery on 4-12-04 and I am now down 92 pounds. I had a re-hospitalization with a hernia 2 weeks ago. It seems that the hole in my abdomen where they stuck the camera through became a portal of pain for a hernia. That was not pleasant at all, but I would not change my decision. I actually have people who don't recognize me now that I am almost thin. Hang in there. Complications do happen, but you need to keep your chin up. Think about how good you will look and feel in 4 months. Try to get out of the house and enjoy this beautiful weather. At least you don't live in Florida. Best wishes. Joe
K M.
on 10/1/04 11:56 pm - Norfolk, MA
Mary, your only 2 weeks out of surgery and on top of that developed an infection. Of course your feeling tired, weak and horrible. Things will get so much better. Just wait and see. Hang in there. Once you see the pounds start coming off your feel great. Each day you'll get stronger and feel better. Keep yourself hydrated. Drinking plenty of fluids will take any hunger you feel away. I felt horrible the first 3 weeks. But I never regretted having the surgery. I couldn't sleep in my own bed for 2 weeks. Was so miserable. I'm 7 months out now and feel great. Have lost 75 lbs and hope to lose another 40 to get to goal. Its such a great feeling to finally be in control of my eating. You'll be feeling great in no time. Don't regret what you did. Just know that this time will pass and believe me in the weeks to come you won't even remember how bad you felt at the beginning of your journey to a new you. Honest! Best wishes, Kathy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 682 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views