Why Open Over Lap ..????????????

CoolWaterMom
on 9/14/04 9:38 pm - Monument Beach, MA
Ok I am just wondering Why would you pick an open Gastric Bi Pass over the Lap Gastric Bi Pass. I just am still makeing up my mind and wanted to see what everyone's thoughts on it are. Take Care Hugs Loretta
Richard
on 9/15/04 1:08 am - MA
Revision on 01/06/14
Loretta This is one of those subjects that people disagree on, but here is my take. Some people need to have their surgery open because of previous surgeries or other medical reasons. But many surgeons only do open so if you go to that surgeon that is what you will get. Go to a surgeon that does both and you can talk it over. Better yet get the Lap Band. It is done Laporoscopically, has quicker recovery, less complications, a 1 in 2000 mortality and you lose just as much weight at 2 years. Richard
DJJCHARRIS
on 9/15/04 2:49 am - Winchendon, MA
I think it is all in the hands of the surgeon and insurance company. With either you get the same results. Just the open has a much longer healing time. With the lap I was back to work by week 3, and my 5 little holes were all healed up. Best of luck. Dawn -100
keepersmom1991
on 9/15/04 5:20 am - Pembroke, MA
Loretta, This is a very loaded question with many different opinions. I had the open rny and it was by my choice as my surgeon does both and my insurance company will pay for either. I chose the open because in my research I discovered that there are fewer complacations with the open vs. the LAP. I mean that when the surgeon opens you up he/she can look at all your organs, move things around freely and double check on everything up close, where as LAP is done with a wide angle lens in a small camera insearted thru a thin tube. The surgeon also has smaller spaces to work around in as they are unable to move things around with the limited space inside of you. The instances(sp) of nicking something or missing a small leak or something is increased. Also there is always a chance that a LAP procedure will turn into an open one if there are any problems or if your liver is to fatty. That is also why many surgeons require some weight loss when doing a LAP as it reduces the fatty liver size. I had NO problems with my open surgery. I had never had any surgery before and could have gone back to work in 2weeks though I did take off 4. I am 43 years old so a scar down my middle is no problem for me as I will never wear a two piece so show my belly no matter how much weight I lost. I had 12 staples down my middle and my scar is not to bad and I am told that when I have my TT that alot of that willl disappear. I am going for my PS consultation tomorrow so I will know better if that is true. I lost all my wiehgt (-165lbs) within the first year and have been able to maintain the loss for the last 6 months. I have never felt better. Do your homework. Find out everything you can and then make the decission(sp) that is best for YOU. I am not saying that open is better than the LAP only that , that was what was best for me and I did my homework . GOOD LUCK to you and remember it is a LIFE STYLE CHANGE and you must go into it thinking that.If you do you will be succesfull no matter what way you go. Also you do need to excerise as it will help speed up the weight loss and shorten the plateau's(sp?) Janet 318/154 -165(+-) @ GOAL and waing on PS
StephLL
on 9/15/04 2:45 pm - Stoughton, MA
Janet, congratulations on all of your success!!! I was just wondering if you would mind sharing where you had your surgery? Best, Stephanie
keepersmom1991
on 9/16/04 1:00 am - Pembroke, MA
Stephanie, THANK YOU! I do not mind sharing. I had my surgery done by Dr. Lisa Ferzoco. At the time I had it she was out of Good Sam in Brockton. She has changed practices and is now out of Dedham Medical Associates and uses Faulkner. I LOVE her and would go anywhere she is. Best of Luck to you and to everyone no matter what stage of the journey you are in. Keep your faith, and remember do your homework. Janet Clarke
lily K.
on 9/15/04 9:39 am - brockton, MA
loretta i agree with janet, this is a loaded question and only you can decide what is best for you, whatever procedure you have done make sure your surgeon has lots of experience in that type of surgery. i had lap RNY at NEMC and my surgeon had done over 400 lap procedures. the recovery time is usually shorter, i was out of the hospital in 2 days. my five little scars i can hardly see now 2 months later. i did lose some weight before i went in and i think that will help you no matter what type of surgery you have. best of luck with your decision lilykate
StephLL
on 9/15/04 2:42 pm - Stoughton, MA
I agree with Janet, it's a decision you have to make for yourself based on your reasearch. With that said, I'm having the open proceedure even though my surgeon does both, for the same reasons Janet chose open.
Mea A.
on 9/15/04 2:42 pm - Western, MA
Hi Loretta - My surgeon told me he needed to do open RNY on me because I'd had 2 previous abdominal surgeries (scar tissue worries) and I'm apple shaped with a lot of belly fat. On the morning of my surgery, the operating room was mistakenly prepped for Lap RNY. The surgeon told me he would try lap, then convert to open if necessary. I had a total lap RNY, am 9 weeks out with no complications . I was prepared but unhappy about the thought of having an open RNY. Because of my previous surgeries, I knew that the recovery from open could be painful and lengthy. I was thrilled when I was able to have lap. The lap procedure was painless . Sometimes a surgeon will tell you which type you need. As others have said, it's a personal decision and what might be right for one may not be right for all. Good luck in your journey . Mea
Carolyn A.
on 9/16/04 3:54 am - Whitman, MA
Hi Loretta, It really depends on your doctor and you. We opted for the Open RNY because I love sweets. With the open, I wouldn't be able to tolerate sweets any more. I healed relly quickly and my incision is only 6ins. in length. Carolyn
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 682 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views