curious...

Janet S.
on 9/1/04 7:53 am - MA
Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind getting people to lose weight prior to their surgery? If we could lose weight by dieting, wouldn't we do THAT instead of surgery? I don't get it. AND, how many of you have had your gallbladder out during the bariatric surgery? I've read that if not you can get gallbladder cancer???? Thanks for the help I know I will get with these questions...you are all terrific! Janet
Luann S.
on 9/1/04 8:03 am - Randolph, MA
Some of the reasons: laparascopic surgery can only be easily done on people below a certain weight (I'm not sure what weight) When we lose 20 lbs or so, that first weight loss tends to come off of abdominal fat, making the surgery easier for the surgeon to do. Adapting to a new way eating for several weeks before surgery shows committment to the entire lifestyle change necessary for surgery I think of it as practice for post op! I am not sure about the gallbladder thing. I could swear I have had classic gallbladder symptoms in the past and have had about 4 abdominal ultrasounds to check for gallstones. The pre-op one said no again, so the gallbladder stays in. I will be really miffed though if the rapid weight loss causes stones and I have to have another surgery to take it out! Good luck! Luann
Liz F.
on 9/1/04 10:38 am - West Quincy, MA
Losing weight before surgery proves to the doctors that you really are going to give it the effort needed, plus it also gets you in the right mind set for after surgery, as well as it makes the surgery safer for you and easier for the surgeons if they have less fat to go through... I had my gall bladder out at the same time as the RNY surgery. I also had tissue samples removed as part of a study. I then had complications at one of the sites where they removed the tissue from, so I was emergency re-admitted to Boston Medical. Knock on wood I am now almost 2 weeks pain free, but the lack of sleep is a big thing now. I better stop because I can crank about this for days - but just be aware that the surgery is not always easy and smooth for everyone Liz
(deactivated member)
on 9/2/04 1:04 am - haverhill, MA
Losing weight prior to surgery shrinks your liver. An enlarged liver can be hard to work around during surgery. I had my gallbladder out during my RNY because it had stones in it.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views