Pre-Ops - things that could happen...

Liz F.
on 8/30/04 10:09 am - West Quincy, MA
Just wanted to pass along more that I have learned since becoming a post-op... be prepared to not get sleep, or your family/spouses as well. Be prepared to stay in the house for a long time - it will be 5 weeks for me until I see the surgeon for a follow up. No driving, cleaning, bending, lifting, etc. It is VERY depressing. Very much so. So just be prepared. I just wish all the pain and no sleep and alot of other things had not been so covered up before I had the surgery - I may have changed my mind I think - as of right now I sure would not do this again... Liz
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 8/30/04 12:29 pm - 128 Belt, MA
Liz, I no way mean to kick you when you are down, but what were your reasons for choosing the RNY over the band? I am trulysorry you are not feeling well.You were so enthusiastic going into the surgery. I have a consult for the band in 2 days, and I'll tell you, I just couldn't go through the pain and sleep disruption you have had, as well as others have with the RYN. Joan F
Cindy F.
on 8/31/04 12:40 pm - Auburn, MA
Hi Joan, I had the LAPband last December & it did not work for me. I just had lap RNY bypass(conversion from BAND) 8-18-04 & am doing fine & watching the scale go down every day. How much do you have/want to lose? My doctor told me this spring that if you have 80+ lbs to lose, the band may not be the best option. I noticed you're from Needham(I graduated from NHS, class of 1985!) Please feel free to email me with any questions.([email protected])
lily K.
on 8/30/04 12:38 pm - brockton, MA
dear liz i am so sorry that you are having such a rough time of it, i agree it is depressing to be stuck in the house, i hope in a few weeks you will feel much better and when the weight starts to fall off you will feel even better. take care of yourself and be kind to yourself. my thoughts and prayers are with you for a speedy recovery and a big weight loss!! lilykate
(deactivated member)
on 8/30/04 10:49 pm - haverhill, MA
Liz, It gets better....I promise. I am sorry to hear that you were so ill informed before surgery....it certainly doesn't help. You sound as if you may be struggling with post op depression. Don't let that go ...it can get worse. Talk to your doc/surgeon about an appropriate anti depressant. I forget...did you have lap or open? Anyway....I know you have had a tough time of things... I hope you feel better soon.
StephLL
on 8/31/04 12:32 am - Stoughton, MA
Hi Liz, I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. Hopefully things will improve quickly!! I'm a pre-op (Open RNY on 9/27) and I was wondering if I could ask you a couple of questions (please don't worry about responding until you are feeling up to it). What type of surgery did you have and was it open? Why is it still so hard for you and your family to sleep? For you, I would have guessed pain. Is your family up at night helping to take care of you? My mom and dad are going to be caring for me while at the hospital and after the surgery, so I'd love to have an idea of what to expect. Thanks so much and feel better soon!! Stephanie
Liz F.
on 8/31/04 8:20 am - West Quincy, MA
I should learn to explain more about what happened to me huh I had laproscopic RNY and gall bladder removal on Aug 10th 2004. I had complications - a seroma which is a build up of fluids in a space left by one of the incisions - and had to be emergency re-admitted on Aug 16th 2004. So yes, I did not have just a routine RNY as most seem to. The sleep issue - if you are NOT normally a back sleeper, it will be some great work to get used to sleeping that way. Then the chances that the sciatic nerve will sustain damage is much greater as well. And sleeping like that in my regular bed at home and needing help to get up to go to the bathroom every 4 hours of course meant no sleep for hubby. And the pain - OMG - the pain was NOTHING that I had remotely even expected to happen. I am just being honest - not trying to scare anyone. As of right now - today - I would never do this again if given the choice, and I would never recommend it to anyone else as well. My surgeon has been on vacation last week and this week, so that caused my follow up to end up being 5 weeks, which means 5 weeks with no real food, plus the 4 weeks I was on all liquids before surgery as well. It is just draining. Boring. Not worth becoming a hermit compared to my life and activity level before surgery. I still ask why did I do this - every day. And the weight issue - I won't even have a clue until Sept. 10th. And if he says I lost 2 pounds in 5 weeks I will quit right there and ask for a revision. I am that seriously down about all of this. And this is all after spending more than a year preparing as well. So it's not like we sign up and get sliced open 2 months later. Sorry to vent but there is no one else here to vent to until I get "permission" to drive again and clean my house again and all sorts of stuff. Everyone keeps saying Oh it will be worth it you will see - but 5 weeks of misery already has left a pretty damn sour taste in my mouth BIG TIME Liz
joan-the incredible
shrinking

on 8/31/04 10:27 am - 128 Belt, MA
Liz Liz, I am so sorry you are not feeling yourself. Put on your sneakers or ask your hubby for help. You need to get out of the house. Walk down the street. Drive to the park and sit on a park bench. You must be close to the water, visit the ocean and run your toes in the sand. Get out of the house!! I am sure it won't take your pains away, but the change of scenery will do wonders for your mind, and that might help the next 2 weeks go by a little easier. Hang in there--but hang outside!!! Joan F.
StephLL
on 8/31/04 10:44 am - Stoughton, MA
Wow! I am so sorry that you are having such a hard time! I wish I had some words of wisdom for you, but as I'm still pre-op I haven't been throught it yet. I think Joan's idea of getting out of the house sounds like a great one if you can manage it. At the very least it would be a bit of a distraction. Tomorrow is supposed to be beautiful outside. If you are still in excruciating pain, maybe you can see a different surgeon from your doctors office for your follow up, rather than waiting another 2 weeks. I would think/hope they would be able to perscribe something to make you more comfortable. Hang in there! Stephanie
Janet S.
on 8/31/04 1:29 pm - MA
Hi Liz, Has your doctor prescribed a sleep aid for you? Five weeks without a good nights sleep will make anyone depressed, edgy and irritable. What about a tylenol PM? I use this routinely, BUT, I only take one, even being 5'10 and 300lbs. If I take more than one I end up feeling hungover, foggy in the morning. AND, when you take it plan on sleeping 8 full hours or you will wake up feeling the same way. BTW, they can be cut with a pill cutter and still work well. Good luck. Janet PS: Have you weighed yourself at home yet?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views