Surgery Date: September 13, 2004

Karla B.
on 8/28/04 10:33 am - Leominster, MA
I finally have a date! I have been through UMASS program and Dr. Kelly is my surgeon. Of course I have the nerves and my brain is working over time. My pre-testing is September 3rd. Maybe someone out there has had surgery with UMASS and Dr. Kelly? Possibly share the actually surgery, days in hospital, how you felt, the team, etc.. Plus my birthday is in September....the Libra in me wants perfect balance.
StephLL
on 8/28/04 11:36 am - Stoughton, MA
Congrat's Karla...I just got mine and it's September 27th...hopefully you'll be all healed by then!
Karla B.
on 8/31/04 10:49 am - Leominster, MA
Thanks Stephanie!! All shall go well for you also.
Knotty D.
on 8/28/04 2:29 pm - Marlborough, MA
Hi Karla. Congrats! I had Dr Czerniach who trained under Dr Kelly, so I know the practice, and I had my surgery at UMass as well, last April 12th. I am down 89 pounds, and am doing well. Here's what you can expect. The pre testing is a breeze, and they will ask 101 questions to make sure your surgery goes well. Just prior to surgery, you have to follow certain dietary restrictions, and you must go NPO (nothing by mouth) after midnight the night before your surgery. The morning of surgery, they will give you some special soap to use on your abdomen before you leave the house. You will be wheeled into a holding area and you will meet Dr Kelly and the surgical team, then they will start an IV in your arm, and you will pass out. You may wake up several hours later in the PACU, and you will feel like you just got run over by a truck. You will be hooked up to pain meds, and you can press a button to get more. Once they determine you are stable, you will go to a floor to recover, most likely West 3. You will have free range on the pain button, and if you are the least bit uncomfortable, press the button and let the nurse know and she will get you more pain meds. Your mouth will fell dry and you will only be able to suck on some sponge-swab things as you can't have anything to eat or drink. You will be hooked up to an IV for fluids, and a catheter bag, but they will want you to get up and walk around ASAP. Let me tell you, the quicker you walk around, the better you will feel. AFter a day or so, they will take out the catheter and you can actually get to the bathroom to pee, but you will drag that darn IV pole around with you. Soon after that, the IV fluids will stop, but they will keep the IV in your arm as long as you are in the hospital, but now you will get some water to sip, remember to take small sips and go real slow. Then they advance your diet to broth and sugar free jello and you go on oral pain meds, most likely percocet. They will need to be crushed up, but take them when they are due so you don't fall behind on the pain. If you have LAP RNY, you will also have a rubber tube stuck into your abdomen, that collects some puss and other gross stuff from your insides, and the nurse will empty it several times a day. When they take this tube out after a few days, it is kind of uncomfortable while they remove it, but you'll feel much better once it's out. You will soon be itching to leave the hospital and sleep in your own bed, but they will not send you home for at least 3 days, probably 4. They will want to see how you do with the Carnation Breakfast, and you will meet daily with the dietician, surgeons, and the surgical team. Once they deem you fit to leave, you will be given a prescription for zantac and percocet, for home use. Remember to walk around as much as possible, stay ahead of the pain, and tell the nurses if you have any pain at all, they will take care of you. Sorry about the long post, but that is a great hospital, and I hope I have somewhat calmed your anxiety. You will be fine, and they take great care of patients there. My experience was very positive, and I had almost no pain at all, but everyone is different, so stay ahead of the pain. Joe
CoolWaterMom
on 8/29/04 10:43 am - Monument Beach, MA
Hey Joe Great post thanks for all the info for us newbies. Lot of things I had not herd before .
Karla B.
on 8/31/04 11:00 am - Leominster, MA
Joe and Brenda this is exactly what I needed to read and see. I'm sure everyone *****ad your email had a better insight to the actual surgery. Thank you so much for being so open and sharing your personal experience. It is wonderful to have support from you guys. Karla
Luann S.
on 8/29/04 12:04 am - Randolph, MA
Hey Karla, I'll be following right behind you on the 14th but at a different hospital. Best wishes and positive thoughts! Joe, your post was very helpful. I am sure the routine is pretty much the same and I appreciate all the little details and advice! Luann
Karla B.
on 9/8/04 12:52 pm - Leominster, MA
Hi Luann, I'll be thinking of you as I jump right up out of that hospital bed! Wishing you the best, hugs, prays. Karla
chipo
on 8/29/04 9:16 am - Boston, MA
Karla, My surgery is at Beth Israel on 09/14/04. Wishing you an uncomplicated hospital stay, a speedy recovery and a successful journey! Muka.
BrendaHeath
on 8/29/04 12:11 pm - Winchendon, MA
Karla, Congrats on your surgery date. I just had mine on August 9th. I had it with Dr Kelly. He is wonderful. I can't say enough about him. I got to the hospital and they brought me to a room and took my vitals. Then they wheeled me off to a room where they start your iv and put a local anesthetic and some valume....then they wheel you into the operating room. One of the staff asked if I wanted to listen to some music while I waiting to fall asleep. I woke up dry heaving a little bit from the anesthisia. I didn't vomit though. The first couple days in the hospital would have been better if the morphine didn't make me nausious. When they switched me over to Percocet I was fine. They make you get up the and walk the night of surgery. You will feel uncomfortable but they are doing this for your own good. It will be a little weird walking with a cathedar in but you will be able to do it. The night of surgery about 3 in the morning I felt like I had to pee. When the nurse came in I told him and he said but you have a cathedar in, I said I know but I have to pee. Turns out there was a kink in the hose and I filled up the whole bag..lol. I went in on a Monday and was home by Thursday. I had no complications. Dr Kelly and his surgical staff checked in on me every day. The day that you are getting ready to leave, they will take the drain out of your side and possibly a wick in one of your incisions. This is uncomfortable but not painful. The nurses were great. And the aides were awesome. Reneta, was one of the aide I will never forget. She made my stay very comfortable. She came in everynight and washed my back and put lotion on it. One little tip for you. When you have to get up and walk or go to the bathroom, hold a pillow to your stomach this helps so much. I came home on the pain pills taking only 2 a day and then after a couple days only one at night. I couldn't lay in my bed for about a week in a half. I was to uncomfortable laying down completely. I went for my 10 day check up and had my staples removed which didn't hurt a bit. Dr. Kelly walked in and thought I was there for my 3 month check up and then he said ok 6 week check up. When I told him 10 day check up he said wow you look great. I was wide awake and looking healthy. The only thing I have had a hard time with is the carnation instant breakfast. After a while it is gross. I am going tomorrow to nutrition to start on soft foods. I have not had an appetite. I go by the clock to eat. I went back to work already, 2 weeks out. I was tired but did well. These are my experiences...everyone is different. But you will be fine under Dr Kelly. He is wonderful and he is the top surgeon. I hope I haven't bored you, but if you have any questions at all or just need to talk email me. Take care and good luck. Oh one more thing. Don't gain weight before you go in for surgery or he will postpone your surgery date....this happened to someone I know.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views