Liz on the Mend - Round Three ;-)

Liz F.
on 8/24/04 12:55 am - West Quincy, MA
Good Morning everyone! Today is my 2nd day without needing the pain medication - YAY for me! My surgery was 2 weeks ago today... as of right now, today, this moment, if I was asked to do it all over again I would have to say NO WAY... the pain was just plain wicked - ask the emergency room staff at Quincy Medical - I bet they never heard a woman swear as much as I did But until I see Dr. Hess on Sept. 10th I will not be happy without knowing what the weight is doing. Since I was re-admitted last week and received even more IV fluids, I did not show any weight loss when I saw Dr. Hess last Friday, but he said that the IV fluids will stay with me for a good 2 weeks or more - YIKES! Sleep - what is that???? I have not slept more than 2 or 3 hours straight since surgery 2 weeks ago. And neither has hubby, which makes for a very stressful arena. Do NOT think you will sleep in the hospital - it just won't happen. No one seemed to want to give up any "bad" information the entire year before surgery, but I will tell everyone - there WILL BE PAIN, huge, huge pain... and you will not sleep, and sleeping on your back only for 2 weeks totally sucks as well Visitors once you get home - I say tell everyone to stay away for 2 weeks at least. Sitting up chatting for 4 to 8 hours right after having your guts rearranged is not good for you or easy to handle Your sense of smell and your tastebuds may be all screwed up too - things that would have never bothered me before surgery - OMG I take one whiff now and say NOPE - that ain't going to even be tasted But if I do end up with a huge weight loss on Sept. 10th, you all will be the first to know it. Then maybe it will all be worthwhile - right now I am NOT the psoter child for weight loss surgery - *sigh* More to follow tomorrow I am sure... Liz F. West Quincy, MA.
Donna D.
on 8/24/04 5:12 am - Randolph, MA
Liz, So sorry you have had a rough time. I take it that you had the open versus the lap since you had so much pain. Thankfully not everyone is like that but it will all be worth it in the long haul. I had my lap RNY on June 25 & had minimal pain & post op problems. I will agree with you about having to sit up for long periods of time for anything. You are tired & need a nap, at least 1, per day for a while. But I'm 8 weeks & 30 pounds lighter & feel great! Keep up your spirits, it'll all work out for you. Donna
Liz F.
on 8/24/04 9:31 am - West Quincy, MA
Nope - I had the laproscopic also - I WISH I had the open now though... but until I get to see Dr. Hess on Sept. 10th I will not recommend the surgery to anyone who is concerned about the pain issue Liz F. West Quincy, MA. Post-Op since 08/10/2004 2nd day with no pain meds - YAY!
Lisa B.
on 8/24/04 6:49 am - West Yarmouth, MA
Hello Liz,So sorry you r having such a painful recovering but think all about the positives of this .All the energy u will gain.And all the shopping u will be able to do .lol well good luck liz and keep your chin up. Ps. What did u mean by they INVERT the operating table just curious. Lisa B.
Liz F.
on 8/24/04 9:29 am - West Quincy, MA
They actually tilt the operating table which I never knew - I have these bruises way up on my upper arms, and they told me they are from the straps that hold us in when they tilt the table - go figure! Liz F. West Quincy, MA. Post-Op since 08/10/2004 2nd day without pain meds - yay!
CoolWaterMom
on 8/24/04 9:00 am - Monument Beach, MA
I know you must be feeling like it is never going to end but we are pulling for you keep your chin up I am sure once your able to get some sleep you will start to feel better. Hugs Loretta
Knotty D.
on 8/24/04 9:59 am - Marlborough, MA
Wow Liz, I am sorry to hear about your trauma. I had nothing but a pleasurable experience. I was off IV pain meds in less than 24 hours, and off pain pills 3 days later. I was exercising and felt great, it was virtually a pain free procedure for me. I guess every person is different, but I am 4 and 1/2 months out and I am down 88 pounds. The weight will come off, you just need to get past this troubling time. Good Luck. Joe
DJJCHARRIS
on 8/25/04 5:57 am - Winchendon, MA
My best wishes are with you on getting better and better everyday. It will all be worth it after you feel better and really start meltin away. Just do what your Dr. is telling you. Dawn -96
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 683 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views