Getting ready

Luann S.
on 8/19/04 7:47 am - Randolph, MA
Hi all! I am pre-op for surgery at BMC on Sept. 14th. I have enrolled in a research study that involves HMR shakes and a little food. I have been doing this since Tuesday, 5 shakes a day and last night I couldn't even gag the last one down! I got so nauseous and it was worse this morning when I woke up. I couldn't bear the thoughts of another shake! I know others have had great pre-op weight loss with this regime, but I am afraid that I am going to be so adversively conditioned to these shakes I won't be able to look at one post op! A co-worker had to be re-admitted for hydration because she hated the hospital shakes so much she couldn't tolerate any shakes! I have used HMR shakes in the past and liked them, using them as often as 3 times a day, but I am just not going to cut it with this! My question: Has anyone had a bad experience with the the CIB or other shakes after surgery and if so, what were some alternatives? I guess pre-op jitters are starting to set in! Luann
cinnponce
on 8/19/04 9:39 am - Seminole, FL
Hi Luann, I'm still pre-op but I have been doing shakes to try to lose some pre-op weight. I was using the CIBs (no sugar added) but found I was getting hungry between meals. I spoke with the nutritionist and she told me I could do the CarbSolutions. They only have 2 flavors, vanilla and chocolate. They also tend to be on the sweet side so I usually put them on ice and sip them. They are about 100 calories, low fat, low carbs, and high protein (about 21 g). I'm not nearly as hungry now. Right now I do 2 shakes a day and a healthy meal for dinner. The nutritionist also said I can use the SlimFast Lo Carb (about 180-190 calories) or the SlimFast with Soy Protein. Don't know if this helps but I figured it can't hurt. Good Luck! Sue
Donna D.
on 8/19/04 10:07 pm - Randolph, MA
Luann, Try the HMR with diet soda instead of water or milk. I know it might sound gross but it tastes pretty good. Diet orange with the vanilla is like a creamsicle. After the surgery some of us get lactose intolerant or for some reason don't like the taste of milk. That has happened to me & the nutritionist this week said to try Lactaid or soy milk. So I have to try that. Also you can make a pudding out of the HMR shakes so you can eat it rather than drink it. Hope that helps. Donna
Luann S.
on 8/21/04 8:49 am - Randolph, MA
Thanks for the suggestions. I think however, the problem is lactose intolerance! I never consumed this much dairy before and these 5 shakes a day seemed to have pushed me to the limit! I am trying to do this with Lactaide tablets, but I'm not sure if that will do the trick. In any case, I definitely do not feel like eating! Luann
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 682 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views