ANYONE DENIED SURGERY FOR SMOKING?

TJIMENEZ2
on 8/14/04 3:14 am - Westfield, MA
I FEEL SO BAD A FRIEND OF MINE WAS DENIED SURGERY, BECAUSE SHE DIDN'T QUIT SMOKING. MY DR CALLS FOR 2 MONTHS OF NOT SMOKING .BUT SHE WENT THREW ANOTHER DR. WHAT ARE SOME OF THE DR OUT THERE REQUIRING.AND I WONDER HOW HER DR COULD TELL. I HEARED THE DO A TEST ON YOUR LUNGS TO SEE HOW GOOD YOU CAN BREATH. AND SOMETIMES A STRESS TEST.
Alli G.
on 8/14/04 12:05 pm - Troy, NY
Hey Tracy, Hello from NY! My doctor denied my friend on the day of her surgery, after she was prepped and the IV was running. Smoking dramatically increases your chances for developing a blood clot. He will not compromise on this subject! I think that the doctor your friend has is probably worth his weight in gold, it is good that he is concerned for his patient, and not willing to cut corners with her life! Best wishes to you both!
Tammi A.
on 8/14/04 11:09 pm - North Attleboro, MA
I had my surgery at Tufts-NEMC. I also had to quit smoking for 2 months prior to the surgery. I did it. It was tough, but, they were upfront about it. They told me from the beginning that I would have to quit to have the surgery and they werent kidding. LOL.
DJJCHARRIS
on 8/17/04 3:13 am - Winchendon, MA
I had to quit smoking 6 weeks before surgery and he also did a blood test with my pre-op to make sure. It was tough but I pulled thru and it was all worth it. Dawn
NoSurrender
on 8/18/04 12:34 am - Oxford, MA
Tracy, Since this is your second post on the subject, I know it's an issue you are struggling with. I'm pretty biased on this subject. I quit smoking 6.5 years ago and am sure that it was the single best thing I did for my health. Bias aside, it seems to me that you're expending more energy worrying about being denied surgery or how your doctor will find out. You should be much more concerned about the damage smoking does to your body. It is every bit as dangerous as being overweight (if not more so). Instead of trying to figure out ways to avoid quitting, why not just quit. Trust me, you will NEVER regret giving up cigarettes.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 682 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views