Not losing any weight!?!

Rebekah M.
on 8/11/04 7:20 am - Framingham, MA
Hi, there. My name is Rebekah. I had a lap RNY on July 27th. For the first week after the surgery I lost 10 pounds...then it stopped dead. It has been a week since the scale has budged. Has this happened to anyone else? I have no idea what I could be doing wrong. I do know that I have been able to handle a lot more fluid than I was originally told (16 oz of water in an hour is no problem for me). I am into stage 2 (pureeing everything) and following the diet to a T. I'm getting between 550 to 700 calories a day, spread over 3 meals plus a protien shake, and am sticking to high protien/low fat/low carb foods. At least I haven't gained anything back, but this is getting very frustrating and depressing. Any comments? Thanks. -Rebekah
(deactivated member)
on 8/11/04 8:44 am - haverhill, MA
Don't worry. The scale will move again. Your body is just adjusting to all the changes it has been through. Keep doing the right things....the weight will come off.
Knotty D.
on 8/11/04 3:25 pm - Marlborough, MA
Hello, how much exercise are you getting? I would try walking to increase your metabolic rate. Plateaus do happen, so don't get too depressed, at least you aren't 10 pounds heavier, right?
Joanne B.
on 8/11/04 10:55 pm - Springfield, MA
Good Morning Rebekah I don't know if this will be any hel*****t but here is my 2 cents worth of advice. Penny #1 - Drink less water or whatever fluid you are drinkng and add another protein shake. At 2 weeks out and even much later I was not up to exercise (still don't do as much as I should) but I find that if I get 65 - 70 grams of protein and at least 40 oz of fluid INCLUDING the protein shakes I will lose weight. Penny #2 - Don't worry. (I know that is easier said than done.) Every BODY is different and you will find what works best for you. It really is a bit of trial and error but it will come off. Joanne
Rebekah M.
on 8/14/04 6:13 am - Framingham, MA
Thanks guys. I know I just have to wait it out. Yes I am exercising...I walk 40 mins or more a day...have been since 3 days after the surgery. I can't wait to get back to my regular schedule at the gym...but the docs are being really strict about weight lifting and swimming...soon though. Thanks again! -Rebekah
Willi R.
on 8/15/04 3:21 am - Erving, MA
Rebekah, I know that it is frustrating but just hang in there. I disagree about limiting your fluids. You need all of the fluids that you can get. If you limit them then your body thinks that it is dehydrated and it will begin to hold onto fluids. You should not be counting protein grams at this stage of the game. Make sure that you are putting in your protein first. You are still healing. The inside of you will take 8-12 weeks to heal. Protein is a necessary building block for healing. HOWEVER, you need some carbs for energy. If you don't do them then your body will get the message that it is starving and hold onto the weight as if in a famine. Eat a balanced diet that begins with protein and has some carbs. Drink lots of fluids, especially water and crystal light etc. Be patient. Once your body adjusts you will lose. It is a guarantee. Willi Ryan
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 682 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views