WHY DO PEOPLE HAVE TO QUIT SMOKING?

TJIMENEZ2
on 8/8/04 12:36 pm - Westfield, MA
SOME DR REQUIRE IT AND OTHERS DON'T I WAS JUST WONDERING. AND HOW DO THEY EVEN TELL???
sunneegirl
on 8/8/04 11:49 pm - Whitinsville, MA
ALL doctors should require smokers to quit when ANY surgery is going to be performed. When you're put under anesthesia, it is very important for the maximum amount of oxygen to be absorbed. By not quitting, you can hinder your life during surgery! Don't believe that? Ask Terri T. from Connecticut... She's been in the hospital since her surgery in June, for two reasons... one -- she had what she thought was a cold and didn't tell anyone, and two -- she was told to quit smoking, and she hadn't. She is on a trache for breathing and is slowly getting better. Sorry if I'm sounding harsh, not meaning to... just want you to know that the possibilities for complications are so much higher if you haven't quit smoking like your doc has told you too...
Luann S.
on 8/9/04 6:08 am - Randolph, MA
Also, nicotine has an effect on acidic stomach secretions, so that may be a reason too. Luann
Jacqueline C.
on 8/9/04 4:09 am - Woonsocket, RI
Paula is absolutely right. My dad had cancer surgery 6 years ago. His surgery was completely successful, but he died 9 weeks later from post-operative pneumonia. His doctor said that 45 years of smoking (even though he'd quit 5 years before) had made his lungs stiff and unable to take in the amount of oxygen that he needed to fight it off. Had he not required surgery he probably could have lived to a normal age, but the smoking really damaged his lungs. Your best bet is to quit as soon as possible, and go into surgery with your lungs in the best shape that they can be. It increases your chances of successful surgery and uncomplicated recovery, at least from the respiratory side. Good luck to you! Jackie
Luann S.
on 8/9/04 6:07 am - Randolph, MA
Sure it's hard to give up stress relieving habits and smoking is actually harder to give up than heroin, but there are lots of tools out there (medication, patches, gum, hypnosis) and it is vitally important that you give any and all of these a try if necessary. The average smoker quits 7 times before being able to quit for good. There is some substance abuse research that indicates that those who give up smoking at the same time they enter residential substance abuse treatment (most don't allow smoking) are more successful at quitting both because of the trigger effect one has for another. I'm sure smoking is a trigger for some foods for you and vise versa. It is sooooooo important to quit before surgery for your health. I wouldn't want to go to a surgeon who doesn't ask you to quit smoking before surgery-it's plain irresponsible. I know it is hard, but you can do it! This surgery is for your health and so is quitting smoking. Best of luck! Luann
Monica B.
on 8/9/04 6:29 am - Emery, SD
Since smoking is such a horrible habit that destroys lungs, makes the smoker stink to high heaven, just want to gag around those who still smoke, makes your skin yellow and causes ugly lines around your mouth from dragging on the stupid stick, WHY wouldn,t a competent, caring, professional health care provider (whose medical malpractice insurance could be increased by operating on a HIGH RISK OVERWEIGHT SMOKER who could die on the table) Not want the patient to quit smoking. Was this a gag question???? Come on now!
NoSurrender
on 8/9/04 11:16 am - Oxford, MA
They can probably tell whether or nor you're smoking by checking how much oxygen there is in your blood. A non-smoker will have more oxygen in their blood than a smoker. I have had surgery as a smoker and I have had surgery as a non-smoker. Let me assure you, my surgery as a non-smoker was much easier for me than the ones when I was a smoker. You'll be under anesthesia for a couple of hours... that usually hinders breathing and oxygenation, and if you're a smoker, it's even worse.
DJJCHARRIS
on 8/11/04 6:28 am - Winchendon, MA
I had to quit for at least 6 weeks before surgery. My Dr. even took a blood test to make sure there was no traces. It is not easy but it is worth it. Also smoking creates acid that you don't want in your pouch. Dawn -90
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 682 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views