Not doing so good--

Jodi H.
on 7/28/04 2:24 am - Amesbury, MA
Surgery is 4 weeks away and I can not lose any weight. I feel like a failure. I have been trying so hard to diet and I get discouraged and eat like crazy stuff. I do ok and then I f--- up!! AHHHHHHHHHHH! The Meridia does not seem to be helping. I thought that it was. It is in God's hands now if the surgery date will even happen Jodi
Kim T.
on 7/28/04 2:42 am - Dracut, MA
awww Jodi, i feel for you!! I understand the doctors reasoning behind having patients lose weight before surgery, but let's be realistic, we've tried that route most of us over a dozen times. Really, if it were that easy we wouldnt have made the decision to have surgery in the first place. Secondly, it's difficult on your nerves waiting on surgery, i was there, not that long ago and i ate like crazy a few weeks before surgery. Call your doctors office, tell them you are trying and whats going on, they way i see it, if you call and explain you are having a tough time they at least KNOW you are trying and that you are concerned enough to call and discuss rather than just wait until your pre testing appointment. Lots of luck to you!! ~Kim lap rny 4/7/04 -58 lbs
(deactivated member)
on 7/28/04 3:04 am - haverhill, MA
Keep trying Jodi. I know it is hard, but you have a goal in mind. I think pre op weight loss is such a tough thing to have to do . I know why surgeons ask us to do it.....but it is hard because it is the one thing we have all tried repeatedly and failed at. Try planning your food for the day tommorrow and then sticking to the plan just 15 minutes at a time. Good luck.
Jodi H.
on 7/28/04 3:16 am - Amesbury, MA
Thank you--I will continue to try because I want this so badly. I know that it is a great life style change. I just need to keep praying for the willingness to JUST DO IT!! Jodi- Thanks Again!!
lily K.
on 7/28/04 5:04 am - brockton, MA
dear jodi kimberly is right don't concentrate on doing this till the end of august, just one day at a time and if you have slip ups just get back up on that old horse!! i had plenty of slip ups before my WLS and although i did not lose as much as i would have liked i lost some and even a small weight loss will help you with your surgery and recovery best of luck to you, i know you can do it lilykate
Wendy S.
on 7/28/04 6:38 am - Malden, MA
Jodi -- the best thing that you could do for you is that you said outloud that you can't stop. I went to a surgeon for a herniar repair. he told me if I lose weight first that it would be easier for him and me to repair the hernia. When I saw him at a Gastric Bypass meeting at my local hospital, I wanted to yell at him. I said Dr. F, you said that it would be easier for you and me if I lost some weight and a herniar repair would be easier, now I gained weight, so now, what is the next step? My highest weight that I knew of was 306. I had trouble breathing, walking and all I wanted to do was sleep. I had open bypass on June 4, 2004 and today, I went to see my weight doctor today and I told him that I can't believe how well I feel. I lost 25 lbs in the first month, now I am slowing down. I starting to go to the gym and I am doing the best that I can. My mother is in a different kind of weight loss program and I had to ask her if I was a "failure" because I am having this surgery done. She reassured me that I was not a failure, in fact she was very greatful that I was finally taking care of myself because for years, I tried to lose the weight for other members of my family and now I've done it for myself. Keep your head up. YOU ARE TRYING YOUR BEST!!! My only obstacle that I have now is that, I need to learn only to get on the scale once a month or once a week, not once or more times a day.
Liz F.
on 7/28/04 9:32 am - West Quincy, MA
You will be fine - do not worry hun. Are you staying the same or are you gaining at all? Are you checking your weight daily? If you are checking daily - STOP THAT! Plus remember if we all could lose the weight on our own, we wouldn't even be here to begin with. We all need help in one form or another. Did your surgeon tell you if you do not lose X that they will not do the surgery? Another thing is do not bring the bad food into the house if you can do that. And drink water or Crystal Light like it is going out of style. Just remember YOU WILL SUCCEED and YOU WILL BE FINE!!!! Liz F. West Quincy, MA. Pre-Op 08/10/2004
cinnponce
on 7/28/04 11:17 am - Seminole, FL
Hang in there Jodi, I know how hard it is but it will happen. Try keeping fresh veggies with you and munch on those between meals. Take the small bites and chew, chew, chew. Your jaws will get tired and you won't feel like eating. Also, keep a water bottle with you and fill it often. I find these tactics seem to help me. Another big thing is the exercise. I started doing that and find that it helps. You are NOT a FAILURE. Losing is hard work. And you are giving up alot all at once. Try calling the OCC and talk to them. Maybe they can suggest other options. Good Luck and Keep the faith!!! Sue
Brendielee
on 8/2/04 2:33 am - Groton, MA
Hi Jodi... I had the SAME problem and someone on this site gave me some good advice. I made all my liquid intake water - no sodas (sugar in it) or any other beverage with sugar in it. Crystal light is great! I tried to cut out the sweets and really reduce my sugar and that helped me drop some before the surgery. It wasn't easy but just cutting out the obvious sugars in my beverages really helped. Now I'm 4 months out and down 43 lbs! I've been there girl...hang in there!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 682 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views