Confused

Kathy V.
on 7/26/04 1:54 pm - Weymouth, MA
Can someone help me take that first step! I want the surgery so bad. But what is the very first thing I need to do. I need someone to give me a jumpstart.
Michelle N.
on 7/26/04 2:01 pm - West Springfield, MA
First get a good surgeon who you can feel comfortable with after a few visits. He/she will then recommend which surgery is right for you. After that you should be smooth sailing. It takes a few months but it will all be worth it.
(deactivated member)
on 7/26/04 10:15 pm - haverhill, MA
Do your research and find a good, reputable surgeon. Then go to your PCP and get your referral....if your insurance requires one. Good luck Kathy.
Lisa B.
on 7/27/04 1:24 am - West Yarmouth, MA
First u should do lots of research.Read all u can about the surgery talk to everyone u can about it..And find people who have had it done. Then talk with ur Primary care Doc, Reasearch some more finda good hospital witha good surgeon ..And remember there is no such thing as a dumb ?....And research resaerch research .. I have been researching for over 2 yrs this is my 2nd attempted at this ..WE are here for u ..E mail me anytime .. I just started my journey i just got done with my referalls and are waiting to here from my surgeons office sometime this week Yeahhhh Good Luck , And welcome Lisa B
Liz F.
on 7/28/04 9:51 am - West Quincy, MA
Everyone is right - ask your primary care doctor to recommend a bariatric surgeon in the area. I know of Dr. Hess at Quincy Medical and Dr. Ferzoco at Goddard Medical in Stoughton off hand. Welcome to the group by the way! Liz F. West Quincy, MA. Pre-Op 08/10/2004
Kathy V.
on 7/31/04 9:42 am - Weymouth, MA
Thank you for responding Liz. My problem is that I want it to happen now! Even though I haven't done anything yet. I have Mass Health so I hope that doesn't limit my access to good doctors. Have you had your surgery? Are you happy with it? If you've had it how long did the whole process take? Thanks again for responding.
Donna D.
on 8/1/04 10:54 am - Randolph, MA
Dr. Ferzoco isn't at Good Samaritan anymore. Last August she moved her practice to Dedham Medical Associates & does her surgry at Faulkner Hospital. There is Pam Gastwirt there too. I picked the program first. I researched their sites & then talked to people & gathered more information on this site. I chose the program at Beth israel Deaconnes & had my surgery 5 weeks ago by Dr. Mun. I started the journey in late January & hate the surgery in late June. You have to go to informational meetings (2) but that's the kind of program I was looking for. Hope that helps. Good luck Donna
NoSurrender
on 7/29/04 2:08 am - Oxford, MA
Different surgeons have different proceedures. If I were you, I would look into different surgeons near you and pick one. Then call his/her office and find out what the steps are. It may be a while before you even see a surgeon. Some doctors want you to attend informational sessions, or compulsive eating classes, or see a psychologist or a nutritionist.... I'm going to UMass in Worcester. I went to my first informational session last October, and I will finally see the surgeon next week. Whatever you do, don't choose a surgeon based on the wait time. Choose one that you know will get you the best results. I am thrilled that the bariatric surgery program through UMass takes as long as it does. These doctors don't want to just cut into you--they want to be sure that you'll be ready for all the changes you'll need to make after you have your surgery.
Jana
on 8/5/04 11:37 am - Acton, MA
The very first thing you should do is find out if local hospitals or the hospital near you that is doing the surgery has support group meetings. That will give you a way to ask the questions you need, also helps to find a good surgeon. I had a friend take me to hers and that's were it started for me. Once you find a good surgeon it most likely will take a while to see him or her but in the meantime keep going to support group meetings. You will need them before and long after to help with the many questions you will have. Good Luck!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 682 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views