Help-Suggestions on Protein

Mary M.
on 7/14/04 5:15 am - Marlbourgh, MA
I has surgery 6 weeks ago at NEMC, I am now on stage 4 protein chicken,beef, fish,but no matter what I try it just comes back I have eaten meal bars which have protein, slim fast low carb but not getting enough protein which I think has slowed down my weight loss. I started Curves for excerise this past week, but everyone says not eating enoough. I am down 30 or so pounds in 6 weeks and 50 total since I started so am happy for that. Just would like to eat without looking for a restroom.Any names of other protein drinks that would be a happy change??Thanks ahead of time for everyones help!!!!
Karen B.
on 7/14/04 7:31 am - Vineyard Haven, MA
Hi Mary, I had surgery around the same time you did, and I'm having the same difficulties. I can't seem to keep much meat, fish or poultry down either. I've been using Slimfast Soy Protein Chocolate Delight (I ordered this from amazon.com) mixed with skim milk for breakfast that gives me 23g protein, then the rest of the day I try peanut butter, cup of soup, cheese, spaghettios with meatballs, baked beans. Today I was actually able to keep some shaved ham down. I've lost 31 pounds since the operation. I average around 2-3 pounds a week. I wi**** were coming off faster, however, I keep telling myself that 2-3 pounds a week is what doctor's recommend for most non gastric bypass people to lose. My calories have been averaging around 800 a day, and my protein seems to range between 50-60. I feel great most of the time. It is difficult for me to go to the mall, or far from home because I do have to be extra careful not to eat something that will send me to the bathroom. I think we just have to stay the course and hopefully things will change soon with the protein problem. Good Luck, Karen
(deactivated member)
on 7/14/04 8:41 am - haverhill, MA
Have you tried string cheese? I still live on it. Easy, portable...good protein source. Do you barf everytime you eat? Check with your surgeon to be sure there isn't a problem of some sort. If there is no problem, you just have to find the right foods. With meat and poultry, you have to be sure not to overcook it....chew it to smithereens.....try it with broth or a ff gravy. Just be sure also that you take very small bites. Good luck.
Kim T.
on 7/15/04 2:04 pm - Dracut, MA
Hi Mary youre doing great weight loss wise... but being 6 weeks out is one of the hardest times.. i had my surgery on 4/7/04 and just the past 2 weeks i've started to be able to take a few bites of things like chicken steak etc without getting sick. for protein at 6 weeks out i was still having the lo carb yogurts, ricotta cheese, protein drinks (trader joe's worldwide protein shake has one 21 gms of protein or 35 gms of protein) i was having at least one of those a day.. and as carolyn suggested string cheese is STILL a daily snack for me. also make sure you are chewing like a maniac and taking a bite every 10 minutes or so.. that always helped me too.. lots of luck! ~Kim
Kim T.
on 7/16/04 12:02 am - Dracut, MA
oops, that would be KIMBERLY suggested.. wow i'm just making up names now LOL sorry!! (dont know how i could forget the name Kimberly.. duh! ~Kim
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views