Hospital Supports/Advocates after surgery...

susan S.
on 7/8/04 11:55 pm - Boston, MA
i'm gearing up for my surgery (newton-wellesley) - did you feel that you needed friends/support people in the hospital after hours to help with advocating with nurses and helping you out? were you 'out of it' the 1st day and worse the 2nd? worse at night? thank you. susan
Willi R.
on 7/9/04 1:00 am - Erving, MA
Susan, I was at Mass General and really had great care. I did not need anyone to advocate for me. I had an open procedure and the first few days were tough but the staff really met every need that I had. Willi
Kim T.
on 7/9/04 1:02 am - Dracut, MA
I had my surgery at newton/wellesley on 4/7/04, and i think it's good to have a lil moral support at the hospital. They remind you to get up and walk, use your sphigmometer (spelling is horrible) and kind of help to take in what the nurses say. The medications seem to make you unable to focus or forgetful so having another set of ears to listen is a good idea. Plus when your doctor comes to check on you they can ask questions that you may not think of. personally i was in and out of it the first couple of days.. immediately after surgery i was wide awake, but as the morphine pump kicks in i'd doze in the middle of conversation, wake up and continue talking lol Lots of luck with your upcoming surgery, you've chosen a fantastic group of surgeons!!! ~Kim
Carolyn C.
on 7/10/04 12:06 am - Watertown, MA
Hi Susan I had my surgery at Newton-Wellesley on Jan 5th. Who is doing yours??? They are fabulous there!! I wanted someone there for support, but they did everything I needed them to and more. Best of Luck!! Carolyn
lily K.
on 7/10/04 11:46 am - brockton, MA
dear susan i had my surgery 7/6/04 at NEMC and i booked my sister a hotel room next door for at least the first night(she actually stayed 2 nights)the staff was great she did not have to advocate for me, but it was nice to have her there for moral support, my surgery was at 7.30am so i was in my room by 2pm and walking by 4pm(the walking really helps) the first night i was spacey from the morphine and did not sleep well as they checked my vitals every 2 hours the second night i slept better as i did not go to bed until 10, the next day they unhooked the IV and Foley and i was able to shower so i felt much better still sore esp when getting in and out of bed or chair but you will feel better every day, i was lucky and had no nausea good luck with your big day, my thoughts are with you lilykate
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views