Anyone ever met with an endocrinologist? Help!

VAsnoopy
on 7/7/04 11:58 am - North Andover, MA
Hi everyone! I received an email from Lahey, Burlington today scheduling me for a consult on Monday, 7/12 with an endocrinologist in response to my request to them over the weekend to "have my health assessed and see what my options are". I am not fully sure what an endocrinologist does, so I have no idea what to expect when I get there. I called Lahey and tried to inquire but was met with a phone operator who didn't really answer my questions. I don't think he really knew. The only thing he did tell me was it was a CONSULT so the only thing happening there would be talking, not any kind of diagnostic medical checking. I repeated several times that I was calling because I don't know anything about endocrinologists and was unsure what their role was and what would happen and wanted info. After not really providing me with much information, he interrupted me to ask "are you keeping the appointment?" Frustrated, I said "yes" and hung up. I am wondering if anyone has any experience meeting with an endocrinologist and can tell me about what to expect? I guess I am also a little nervous because like most at my size, I am slightly doctor phobic and really prefer a female doctor. I guess I am extra nervous because this doctor is a 68-70 year old man. I feel nervous about judgments and what not. I also learned that Lahey is not currently accepting any new patients for surgery....so I am wondering if I should go through with this appointment? I am still in the learning phases about my options and want to see what they all are, because I don't know yet that surgery is for me...so maybe I should just go through with it and see what he says? Any info anyone has would be very helpful! Thanks!
Lisa D.
on 7/7/04 11:20 pm - Stoneham, MA
Bonnie I would only be able to recommend doing a google search to see what endocrinologists do. As far as LAhey, I can recommend an excellent surgeon with a great program at Lawrence Memorial. His name is Sheldon Randall. He has his own program at Lawrence but also does this surgery at Mass General too. Good luck on your journey and This site is a great place to get information and support during your decision process. Good luck Lisa open 2/14/04 down ~129
Luann S.
on 7/8/04 1:21 am - Randolph, MA
An endocrinologist is a physician who specializes in the effect of hormones on our bodies. A number of hormones can contribute to weight gain- pituitary, adrenal, thyroid and because insulin is a hormone produced by the pancreas ,endocrinology and diabetes are often connected in one specialization. At my hospital, Boston Medical Center endocrine, diabetes and nutrition are one department and work very closely with the weight loss surgery department. As for keeping your appointment with an endocrinologist at a hospital that is no longer doing surgery, you have to ask yourself some questions: Will this visit bring you any closer to your goal (if that is your goal) of having surgery? Will it help you look at other options? Is it connected to a good nutrition program? Does your insurance allow you a choice of hospital? Do you need a referral from you primary care provider for any specialty visit? Have you had a history of medically supervised weight loss programs? I believe a lot of insurers require this before approval. What will this visit tell me? What kinds of tests will they do? What will they do with the information to help you lose weight or prepare for surgery? Call and ask to speak with a nurse at the office, who may be more helpful than a receptionist. She may be better able to answer questions for you. My suggestion is to continue looking at the surgeons mentioned on this site, talk it over with your primary care doctor and perhaps start interviewing doctors. Personally, I have always chosen primary care physicans who were female, but I have seen some wonderful male physicians for specialty visits and I work with some older physicians who are still at the top of their game so you can't tell a book by its' cover. Good luck! Luann
Willi R.
on 7/8/04 10:06 am - Erving, MA
Bonnie, It was an endocrinologist who got me started on my journey to wls. I think that a trip to see one is well worth your while because it does present you with all of the options that you might have. The endo that I saw was here in Western MA and was super. Willi
NoSurrender
on 7/12/04 5:30 am - Oxford, MA
I saw an endocrinologist once, about 13 years ago. My PCP had found lumps on my thyroid and after having several thyroid scans and ultrasound and then a biopsy, I was sent to the endocrinologist to determine if these lumps would cause any functionality issues with my thyroid (he said no). Thyroid scans often involve a department in the hospital called "nuclear medicine". You go in one afternoon, and the technician hands you a pill in a little lead cup (they won't touch it--you have to injest it! lol) Then you go in the next day and they take pictures of the radioactive iodine. Sometimes they give you a shot that they give you from a lead syringe. (Please remember that these people work with this radioactive stuff all day, so they need to protect themselves from constant exposure. Your actual exposure will not be much at all.) Anyway, that's my experience dealing with the gland doctors. I'm sure your experience will be just fine.
(deactivated member)
on 7/17/04 1:00 am - Fort Myers, FL
Bonnie--This is how the process works at Lahey. Everybody sees an endocronologist just to make sure you would be an acceptable candidate for surgery. This is pretty much someone who only see wls patients and can answer your questions. Are you sure they are not accepting new patients or did you just hear this through the "grapevine". If you have any questions, feel free to email me. Lynda ME/FL
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views