Liquid Diet?????

Jodi H.
on 7/7/04 11:56 am - Amesbury, MA
Has anyone had to go on the liquid diet before surgery? If so-what does it consist of? Please let me know any info on this/ i am a patient at NEMC and they want me to go on a liquid diet pre surgery to lose weight 25-30 pounds!!! Jodi
DJJCHARRIS
on 7/8/04 3:09 am - Winchendon, MA
I was only on a liquid diet for 2 days prior to surgery. It was liquids and jello - anything you can see thru. You may want to double check on that diet. Best of luck Dawn -83
Jodi H.
on 7/8/04 4:31 am - Amesbury, MA
Thanks! I will be going over it with the phy. Assistant Allison on Tuesday. We will see what she says. Thanks again. Jodi-
Liz F.
on 7/8/04 4:21 am - West Quincy, MA
I was on an all liquid diet for a while, but will be going back on July 13th through August 10th - it is a protein drink called HMR and is not bad at all! I lost 25 pounds the first time around, so I am hoping to do the same this coming month before surgery. The only bad thing about HMR is that it is expensive and not covered by insurance. It is 5 shakes a day - one every 3 hours or so - and all the water and Crystal Light you can take. For me it is the best thing because I do so much better being regimented like that - hope this helps! Liz F. West Quincy, MA. Pre-Op 08/10/2004
Jodi H.
on 7/8/04 4:34 am - Amesbury, MA
25 pounds will work. How long did that take. I am suppose to have surgery at the end of August. I hope. Only if I lose the weight though. Do you go to NEMC? Jodi-
Liz F.
on 7/8/04 4:46 am - West Quincy, MA
Well, for me the 25 lbs. was gone in like 2 weeks, but I am sure I have alot more to lose than you do I go to Boston Medical/Quincy Medical and my surgeon is Dr. Hess out of Quincy Medical. You might also be able to see if you can go on the post-surgery diet ahead fo time to lose some weight as well - plus that will get you used to the change in eating. Also ask about going on any of the liquid protein drinks you can get at places like GNC. Just ask your surgeon/dietician what they suggest you try before surgery. And remember any amount you lose is good because it is a loss and not a gain Liz F. West Quincy, MA. Pre-Op 08/10/2004
Jodi H.
on 7/8/04 5:32 am - Amesbury, MA
I have to lose 30 pounds before the end of August!!! I think that is so much. It just seems overwhelming. I hope the liquid diet will work as well for me as it did for you. It is just a quick fix to get me into the operating room nothing long term. They just want me to be safe. Jodi-
Julie H.
on 7/8/04 6:46 am - Georgetown, MA
Doesn't sound too safe to me. I can't imagine a doctor or nutrionist requesting that of someone. I have seen shows on television where surgeons have done surgery on people that weigh over 500lbs and never heard of the liquid diet. Look into that to be sure. The staff at MGH recommended I lose some weight on my own, but they never said they wouldn't do the surgery if I didn't. Be sure that is what you want to do- not something you are forced into. Julie
Jodi H.
on 7/8/04 9:42 am - Amesbury, MA
Thanks Julie but I am not being forced into anything. It is the same road as optifast patients. I will find out all details when I see the Phy. Assistant on Tuesday. I know that they have my best intrest at heart. Jodi----
Luann S.
on 7/8/04 1:52 pm - Randolph, MA
I got a new view of the weight loss before surgery request when I saw the surgical coordinator. The reason they want you to lose weight before surgery,beside knowing that you are capable of following an altered food plan, is because if you are having laparascopic surgery it makes it much easier to perform. The first 20 or so lbs of weight loss tend to come from abdominal fat, which makes it easier for the surgeon to control the instruments with the laparascope. Makes sense to me and the liquid diet seems worthwhile to me if you desire to lose weight rapidly and have a set goal. I don't think it is something I could do long term instead of surgery, but I am starting back on the HMR strictly when I have a date and using a combination of HMR and one meal at the present. Good luck! Luann
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 682 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2252 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4439 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4575 views