Taking the steps (long)

chellz
on 7/1/04 9:40 am - worcester, ma
Hello everyone, I started my journey to have wls well over a year ago, at the time I thought that it was something that I really wanted to do....so I went to the 2 required meetings....waited several months and then had 2 visits with behavioral medicine at which time on the 2nd visit she said to me that she didn't feel from everything that I told her that I had ever sincerely tried to lose the weight on my own....she suggested that I attend some life-skills meetings and then come back to see her in a month....Well I was so mad when I left her office I felt like how could she tell me I wasn't ready to have surgery.... After I got over the poor me I would have to wait...I thought about what she said and thought that she was right...so then I went on the atkins diet and lost 40 pounds then life and the holidays happened and I have slowly regained almost all of the weight back. I had gone to the doctor's a few weeks ago for pain killers due to tremendous back pains....she said that I would continue to have these problems and that they would get worse if I didn't lose the weight....and asked if I had ever thought about surgery....so that brought me back to behavioral medicine....I went and saw her today and she commended me for trying to lose the weight on my own one last time....she said that I should pat myself on the back and not feel that I am back at the point where I was before because I listened and tried....so she gave me the number to go see the director of the weight control program, the nutrionist, and I will be going to the life skills meetings, and then back to see her again.... I left her office in such a good mood with a sense of accomplishment....and pride that my choice to try to lose the weight on my own was the right one.... I was driving back to work and called the directors office, got an appointment for July 22nd, and then called the nutritionist and am going to see her tomorrow......That is so AWESOME!!!! Ok, so after all of this rambling here is the questions.... I am having my surgery done thru UMASS Medical center....so the director that I am seeing is DR. Gitkind I was wondering if anyone has seen him that could tell me what to expect.... Also any estimates as to when I might be having surgery from the point that I am at.... Thank you so much for listening to me.....I have learned so much from all of you and can't wait to post again... I promise I will try to keep it more brief... Have a great day Michelle
Knotty D.
on 7/1/04 1:01 pm - Marlborough, MA
Hi Michelle. I had my surgery at UMass in April. Dr Gitkind is going to look you over medically for any issues, i.e he may order an echocardiogram, liver tests, etc. His job is to make sure you are accurately assessed medically for the surgeons, and you don't have any unresolved "surprises" that may crop up when you are under the knife. Try to relax, it's not a test. When I met with Dr Gitkind (December) he cleared me medically, and 4 months later I was on the table having Lap RNY. The support groups at UMass are fun and educational, and the whole process is very good. Good luck on your journey. Your timing may vary based on insurance, some insurances approve quickly, some take longer. The one thing UMass does that differs from other hospitals is insurance approval is sought, then a date is assigned for surgery. Some hospitals schedule surgery witout having the approval in hand, and that just adds stress for you, like wondering if approval comes in time for surgery or will you be pushed back, etc. I am down 66 pounds in 11 weeks, exercise, eat right, and you will melt away to a thinner you.
chellz
on 7/2/04 2:32 pm - worcester, ma
Hi Joe, Thanks for the response.... I need to find out when the next group of night time life skills classes start (behavior classes) Do you know who I need to contact and what the number is??? Thanks so much for your help...I went to nutrition today and she confirmed all that you told me... Great job on the loss!!!!!!!!! Keep up the good work. Michelle
BrendaHeath
on 7/3/04 1:28 pm - Winchendon, MA
Michelle, Behavioral skills is Marjorie Kaplan and the number is 508-856-4907. She is the person that runs the preskills group. It is an awesome experience. You get to be around people that are going through what you are. It is very comforting. I wish you luck.
Knotty D.
on 7/4/04 12:26 am - Marlborough, MA
Yes, what Brenda said...LOL This is really a life changing experience. I now weigh less than I did when I graduated from high school in 1985. This is the best thing you can do for yourself, go for it. Stay in touch with support groups or other people who have gone through this, and the staff at UMass is always available for questions, fell free to utilize them. They are very knowledgable and friendly. I wish you the best. Joe
DJJCHARRIS
on 7/7/04 6:45 am - Winchendon, MA
Welcome to the Umass group of losers. You will do great. I have my surgery in January 2004. I have heard that the program has changed to quicken the process. I wish you all the best. The next monthly support meeting is on the 2nd Wednesday night July 14th. When you go to the nutrition tomorrow ask for directions to the room. The meeting are really helpful. Dawn -83
NoSurrender
on 7/12/04 5:21 am - Oxford, MA
I saw Dr. Gitkind a few months back. He's the weight center's MD, who will determine if you are medically a good candidate for the surgery. He's a very nice man. You will still have to do the Behavioral classes (4 of them) and a visit w/ the nutritionist as well as a post-surgical nutrition class, and then all your paperwork will be put together and sent along to the surgeons' offices. That's where I am at now.... waiting. It's been nearly a month since I had that last nutrition class. I was hoping to have my surgery before October, but now I'm thinking this isn't a possibility. As long as it is, the program at UMass is really a good idea. I like that they really work w/ you to make sure that you're ready for this. Some people shouldn't be cut into until they can learn how to alter their behavior a bit, and I think UMass does a good job of identifying those people and teaching them new skills.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views