What would you say to a politician who could help you???

ronascott
on 6/30/04 11:34 pm - San Antonio, TX
What would you say to a politician who could help you??? Hi Friends! It's me again, your trusty pest, continuing to ask you for info that will aid in my lobbying the government on a local, state and national level to eliminate obesity discrimination AND to make insurance coverage for surgical weight loss a mandatory benefit. Even though I'm in Alabama I am working to lobby all 50 states. It's pay it forward time..........can you please, please help me by answering this question. If you could sit face to face with anyone in power and make a difference.....what would you say to them about WLS and how it will change or has changed your life? Hugs, Rona Your Bari-Godmother
Luann S.
on 7/1/04 5:45 am - Randolph, MA
Hi Rona, As a nurse and WLS candidate I would say this: WLS is not undertaken lightly. It is a last effort to avoid dying of obesity related co-morbidities. I work in a hospital that provides the most care to those in Massachusetts without any insurance or on public assistance. That means a very large part of the care we provide is paid for by the taxes of everyone in the state. Just think how much money can be saved in hospitalizations, emergency room visits, medications and lab tests if everyone who wants and is eligible for WLS has access to it. In this state, if insurers are mandated to fund a procedure, then the Medicaid program must also. With WLS surgery improving and in some cases eliminating diseases such as asthma, high blood pressure, diabetes, sleep apnea and potential for heart disease and stroke, could our taxes and health insurance payments be put to any better use? It is time that healthcare starts paying for treatments that prevent further disease and death, not just minimally treating each crisis while costs spiral out of control. Luann
p3santos
on 7/1/04 6:22 am - Fall River, MA
Well said Luann - thanks Pat
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs