what to do just prior to WLS ?

lily K.
on 6/26/04 9:18 am - brockton, MA
my date for lap RNY is 7/6/04 at NEMC, now that it is so close, i am getting nervous, any last minute suggestions would be appreciated, i know i have made the right decision and am very happy with all that i have experienced at NEMC, but speaking as someone who has never been to the hospital (except to visit!!) i am mildly freaked out by what is to come, thanks, i find this board and all the honest comments most helpful!!
Willi R.
on 6/26/04 10:46 am - Erving, MA
LIly, I kept myself very busy prior to my surgery. I made sure that I had everything that I needed. I bought instant breakfast and lactaid, stocked up on yogurt and crystal light. I also went insearch of a fan that could be run on batteries (I found it at Walmart). Made sure that I had some nice loose jammies and packed things that make me feel good. I also brought my pillows to the hospital. I kept thinking about how my life would change for the better and envisioned skinny angels watching over me, yep, skinny ones! If you need us to support you then keep writing and we will be there. Willi
p3santos
on 6/27/04 3:43 am - Fall River, MA
I haven't had WLS yet, but is on my list of "things to do" (hopefully August) but I have had surgery several times, so my advice - be sure that is someone to come in to help you when you first get out of recovery and to check you (in person) every few hours and especially in the evening when the nurses are very busy - it's nice just to have someone who will get you a drink or wipe your face with a cool cloth and change the channels on the TV - and warn people that you will not be in the mood to visit while you are in - one or two quiet people at a time - party time can be when you get home and feel up to it. Willi's fan idea is a good one - sleep when you need to and don't worry about who's in the room - they are there for you! Don't be afraid to ask the nurses for something that you need - that's what they are there for - and be sure to get up as soon as you can or the gas pains will be murder!!! good luck - before you know it you'll be on the losing side giving advice to pre-ops like me p
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views