Losing weight before surgery

cinnponce
on 6/17/04 8:29 pm - Seminole, FL
Hi Everyone, I was wondering how people lose the weight before surgery? I realize it is better for you to lose weight before the surgery but does anyone have ideas on how to do this? I am having the surgery because I cannot lose weight and this is hard for me. I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks.
ginny1029
on 6/17/04 10:01 pm - Taunton, MA
Sue, Losing weight before surgery is a good thing and I have been trying to do this also. One thing I find is that I am just a lot more aware of what I am eating and with the summer time it is always easier for me as I love fresh fruit and vegetables. I have also tried some of the things that I know I will have to be having after surgery like the Carnation Instant Breakfast and different yogurts to find one I like. You just have to decide this is worth it to you over all other things and it is not how much you lose but just that you are changing the way you eat and think about food if you can. Also try to fit in some sort of exercising if you are not already doing that. Best of luck to you. Ginny
cinnponce
on 6/18/04 11:10 am - Seminole, FL
Hi Ginny, Thanks. I was thinking about trying Slimfast because they now have the low carb variety. I tried it the original Slimfast products but it sent my sugar too high. I'm trying to cut back on my portions and really watch my food choices. I have not seen the nutritionist yet so I'm not really sure what the diet consists of post-op. Thanks for the advice. I love yogurt so that will be a big help. Sue
DJJCHARRIS
on 6/18/04 5:24 am - Winchendon, MA
It wasn't a lot I had to lose before. 5 lbs for the nutritionist and 5 lbs for the surgeon. So I really waited and crash dieted before my appointments and this turned out pretty good. However, now I am faithful to the diet and change of lifestyle. And lovin that meltin feelin'. Best wishes on your journey. Dawn -78
cinnponce
on 6/18/04 11:11 am - Seminole, FL
Hi Dawn, Thanks for the advice. I have to try to lose about 28 pounds before surgery. Not an easy task for me since I have been trying to lose. You are doing great. Keep up the good work and thanks for replying. Sue
Donna D.
on 6/18/04 12:44 pm - Randolph, MA
I have been trying to loose weight before my surgery too but I went to my pre-op today & haven't lost a thing. I am dissappointed but not surprised. I've never been able to loose anything on anything but a very low calorie diet. which is why this surgery should work for me. I have 1 more week to go. Donna
Tanya C.
on 6/18/04 12:43 pm - palm Bay, Fl
Hi... I had my first consult last September and between then and my surgery on 1/6/04, I lost 31 pounds. I was required to lose 5, but I got so paranoid about being cancelled that I kept going. It was not easy considering the holidays I had to endure...LOL. Our surgeon will cancel you if you gain or do not lose the required weight. I basically just cut out all refined carbs and concentrated on whole grains, fruits, vegetables and lean protein. I ate small frequent meals and started walking. I also stopped drinking diet coke and drank water or crystal lite instead. I started trying very hard to eat slow and chew well. hope this helps. Tanya 221/190/138/?120
cinnponce
on 6/20/04 4:29 am - Seminole, FL
Tanya, That's great! You should be so proud of yourself. Looking at your numbers is so encouraging. I've cut out most refined sugars and eat whole grain bread (I don't like white bread). I'm hoping that since summer is here, I'll start eating more fresh fruits and vegetables. I usually eat three meals and no snacks but I think I will try eating smaller portions at my meals and add a couple of snacks (fruit or veggies). Hopefully, that will help. As for soda, I don't srink soda. I have 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning and drink water after that for the rest of the day. Thanks for responding and enjoy your new life as a thin person. I know I will when I get there. Sue
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views