UMASS Bariatric is Expanding!!

SkinnyMe71805
on 6/14/04 4:40 am - Fitchburg, MA
I just recently went to an informational meeting at umass. I am looking forward to getting gastric bypass surgery. My initial thought was that i would have to wait a year for everything to go through. Most people on these boards have confirmed this for me. But there is GREAT NEWS....Their offices are expanding and they are adding more staff. Nutritionists, Psychologists and Docs. The expected wait to see Behavioral Med. after you attend your required 2 meetings is now a week or two!!! How cool is that? And the process of seeing both Nutrition and Behav. Med should take no more than 2 to 3 months. It can still be longer for patients who have sleep apnea or other issues. Butthis is absolutley wonderful news to me!!! I am so excited to get things rolling. They used to have you call Behavioral Med to put you name on a list for an appointment after your first two meetings, but now thay will call YOU, after your second meeting. If everything goes well with my insurance i can expect to have this done within 4-6 months rather than 8-18 months. What a difference. Well GL to all and best wishes. Niesha Johnson Current/ Goal 280/ 160 TTC: 7/2/02
Luann S.
on 6/14/04 6:22 am - Randolph, MA
That is good news Niesha! It is exciting and scary when things move along quickly! Glad to see people in Central Mass getting good medical care that they need without traveling to Boston! Luann
NoSurrender
on 6/18/04 4:39 am - Oxford, MA
That is good news. I attended my first meeting in October of last year, was called by the Behav. Med. people in late January, and I still haven't seen the surgeon yet. The long program was good for me though, as I felt like I really learned a lot about myself and why I eat the way I do, and how I can use the surgery to help me not do that anymore. I know I'm still going to have to work at it, but at least now I feel equipped to do so. I just finished all my requirements... just waiting for the surgeon to call.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Another year gone by
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 681 views
Happy Anniversary
Grim_Traveller · 0 replies · 2251 views
Total Cost
capeme · 1 replies · 4438 views
Glad to be back - MIA for 6-7 yrs
LisaS08 · 1 replies · 4574 views